Monday, April 7, 2014

TWIL #6

In this edition of TWIL I'm going to work backwards. Let's start with yesterday. 

While in town for lunch with some of my friends from church I decided to stop by Toys R US to use my $5 rewards coupon before it expired in the middle of this month. 

As I looked at the the stock on the shelves I realized that the "Lego Movie" sets are starting to disappear. The only thing I want from the movie sets is a model of the micro manager characters. So I purchased the smallest set that has one of them. 

Also last night while watching TV with Paula, I sorted through my Lego bricks and specialty pieces to build something I came up with on my own. The idea was inspired by the start of the grilling season around my house. Here's what I built: 







It's a barbecue grill. The finished model is quite a bit different from what I had imagined, but that's okay. The pieces I had and the way they fit together is the main reason for that difference. 

Although I don't use my Lego bricks for my own creative ideas very often anymore, I seem to get the most satisfaction from them when I do. 

Continuing to work backward in the week, on Thursday I went to the Lego store in Nashville. 

I filled a large "pick a brick" container with gray and black bricks that can be used to make a roof. I did that because I want to build a large Lego brick house and I don't have enough bricks for the roof.

I also bought another Creator set that's on my "want list." I used my Lego VIP points to help me with the purchase of this set. 




So now, as you can see, I will be building a summer beach home. I will just have to shrink down to the size of a mini-figure so I can use it. Not going to happen, I know.

This is a rather lengthy report but I have just a few more things. 

Last Tuesday night I was watching NCIS on CBS. The show featured new characters working in the New Orleans NCIS office. 

A new female NCIS agent, Brody, stepped on a 1x2 Lego brick in the office. The dialogue between Brody, the female agent, her fellow agent, LaSalle, and the office head agent, Special Agent Pride (played by Scott Bakula) went something like this. 

Agent Brody: (after finding the brick) What's this?

Agent LaSalle: A Lego brick. 

Agent Brody: You play with toys at work?

Agent Laselle: I build sculptures and models of buildings. 

Agent Brody: You're joking?

Special Agent Pride: Around here we don't joke about Lego.

The scene continued and included a small scale model of the Superdome. Later in the episode a mosaic made from Lego bricks was a key part of the show's wrap up as well. 

It was pretty cool to see adult TV characters who are serious fans of Lego. The script writers were also careful to use the correct jargon when talking about the building toy; using it as a brand name and never with an "s" on the end. Thanks NCIS. 


Finally, I'm still working on both my VW model and the speed boat from kit 31011. Also in about 3 weeks the Simpsons mini-figures will be going on sale. Can you tell I'm anxious?

That's "TWIL" for this time. 

No comments: