Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Prep And Mowing

It's been growing. It had stopped for a few months. At times it felt like it would never grow again. Nature has taken it's course. It happens every spring. The weather got warmer and the sun started shining. April brought it's ubiquitous frequent rain and now it has to be cut back. I'm talking about my lawn. 

From April to November the task of mowing is on my weekly "to do" list. All total, front and back, I have about 3/4 of an acre to cut. I have a riding mower which works for most of the job. But I have to use a push mower for the outer edges. 

Starting tomorrow I will install the new battery on the Sears rider, turn the key, put the transmission into forward gear, engage the cutting deck, and start the 2014 mowing season. It happens every April.   

I'm not complaining. It's part of being a homeowner. In fact I rather enjoy it at the start of the season. But come the dog days of August, when it's hot and humid, through the end of October; it isn't exactly my favorite thing to do. 

On a more positive note. It's time to start getting ready for my most important performance of the year. I'm going to be entertaining the kids at my granddaughter's birthday party this Sunday. 

The party is going to have a carnival theme. I am going to be using puppets, strumming my ukulele and playing the part of the "barker." This is going to be the first test of something I think I'd like to do in the future.   

Today is the first day I'm raising the level of my preparation and rehearsal. I want to get all my songs and jokes down and memorized. My main goal is to make sure the "birthday girl" has a good time. I'm looking forward to doing just that. 

No comments: