Monday, March 31, 2014

TWIL #5

Hello, everyone. It's Monday and that means it's time for "This Week In Lego." 

This time I've got reports on: progress in school, completing a Creator 3- in-1 build, and give you a better idea of what (or should I say "who"?) I'll be collecting this May. 

Last Wednesday and Friday mornings I went to the local elementary school once again to help out with the Gifted and Talented class for 5th and 6th graders. 

After nearly a month of introduction and preparation, this week the students, in groups of 3, began to build the 12 models they will later be putting in motion using computer technology. 

I am having them build each of the models that can be made from the parts in the kit, so they can decide which one they would like to see move the most. 

Both of the classes did well and the children learned team work and a bit of the "R" and "D" part of industry. 

Because this week is Spring Break, I won't be going back to those classes until April 9. 

This week I built the other two motorcycles from Creator kit 31018: The Dirt Bike



And my favorite of the three, the Highway Cruiser.




While building this one, I realized that my preferences for Lego models are: 
helicopters, robots, and then motorcycles. 

The Highway Cruiser is an example of why "hogs" are third on my Lego list. They are cool even when they are miniatures. 

Another Creator 3-in-1 set that includes a really awesome helicopter is next on my "to build" list. 



The last thing I have to report this week is information I've been waiting for since the beginning of February. 

Lego has released pictures of the next mini-figure set. The worst kept Lego secret of the year so far has been confirmed. They are all licensed characters from "The Simpsons" TV show. 



They are all great representations of TV's longest running animated series. The only characters I wouldn't have included are Itchy and Scratchy. I would have rather had Comic Book Guy and Mrs. Krabappel. 

Comic Book Guy deserves to be included because he is probably the one adult character who would own and build Lego sets. 

The inclusion of Bart's school teacher would have been a wonderful tribute to actress, Marcia Wallace, who voiced the character. 

I know it would be one of the most nerdiest discussions in the history of Lego but there could be arguments made for many of the dozens of characters that have been part of "The Simpsons" 

But the set has been announced. When it comes to who was included, that ship has sailed. It's only a month until they become available. I can't wait but am going have to. 

There you have "This Week In Lego" for the last week of March, 2014. 







  

No comments: