Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hobby Helper

This past week was one that gave me an opportunity to do something most people only wish they could do. Use their hobbies in a socially redeeming way. 

On Wednesday and Friday mornings I went to a local elementary school to help a friend of mine who is a science teacher with an unique class project. 

She attends my church and is a Facebook friend. She knows from my FB page that I am an experienced Lego builder. 

A few months ago she asked me if I would be willing to help her teach a class utilizing some Lego kits she purchased from their website. They were supposed to help her students learn about the interaction between computers and machines. 

On Wednesday I went to her classroom and taught an introduction class for a group of twelve 5th graders. However in this first session, we didn't even touch the Lego kits. 

What I did was engage them in making the connection between building with Lego bricks and creating new and innovative products for areas such as: the medical field, US military and space programs, the theme park entertainment industry, and consumer products. 

I used Walt Disney as an example of someone who used his imagination and made his dreams a reality. I explained that Mr. Disney believed that if you could dream it you could do it and continuously worked to always keep moving forward. 

From what my friend told me on FB later on Wednesday night, the kids really liked the class and are excited about the next one scheduled for next Wednesday.  


On Friday, I did the same type of class with a group of 6th graders. I took a little different avenue them which included having the kids break up into groups and work together to create something original from random Lego bricks. 

We didn't get that part finished before we had to end the class. But it left us with an exciting place to pick up next time. 

Later on Wednesday afternoon, I went to work at my new job like I have for the last 2 weeks. But today was different. I took my ukulele with me. 

I played it twice during the after school session. The first time was in the classroom with just the 2nd and 3rd grade students. 

Later, in the school's gym with all the kids in the program sitting on the floor I sat on the edge of the stage and led them in a sing along. 

I made up a song about the after school program to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands." I had to employ a little of my improvisational skills but it worked out. They all liked it. I think I even made an impression on my co-workers and supervisor. 

It's hard to believe but I took a pair of activities I do, basically, just for fun and used them as tools to help me with something I've been doing for a long time; teaching and entertaining kids. 

I plan on using my knowledge and experience with Lego bricks as well as my very remedial ability to play the ukulele even more in the future. Who knows what letting others see my talent will lead to. I sincerely mean it when I say this: That's something only God knows.  








No comments: