Thursday, March 20, 2014

Laptop Down

You really can't tell but today I am writing this blog from a different location. Usually, when I write I am sitting in my love seat recliner in my living room watching TV. Today I am sitting at the monitor connected to my desktop computer in the room next to our carport. 

I cannot use my laptop because it is out of a battery power and I cannot charge it. Here's why. 





This is our new love seat where Paula and I sit most of the time. My seat is closest to the TV. At the risk of sounding like Sheldon Cooper, it's been "my spot" for a long time. 

In order to charge my laptop while reclining in the love seat I plug the AC adapter from into the outlet in the back and feed it up from in between the sections of the love seat. Without going into even longer and more boring details that's the best way to get it plugged into my laptop. 

Yesterday, as I pushed the bench down to get out of the recliner I heard an alarming "buzzing" sound, saw a small cloud of smoke and smelled an odor that accompanies a short in a live electrical circuit. 

Totally surprised, I quickly jumped up and cautiously looked around and in back of the area to see what had happened. My first instinct was to look to see if the spark had come from either of the power strips or the outlet that's in back of the love seat.  

There was no visible evidence that the problem came from either of those two sources. That's when I realized the problem had originated from under the love seat where the laptop's AC adapter and it's cord was snaked in between the sections. 

When I had closed the bench, the cord of the adapter, which had bunched up, got caught between the scissored parts of the workings of the love seat and was severed by the pressure of it's closing. That's where the short happened. 

I was lucky I hadn't accidentally electrocuted myself. I had never even given thought to the possibility before. Once it did I had a "duh" moment. Why hadn't I considered that ever happening? I'm usually very paranoid about things that could cause a fire. Thank God he kept me safe in spite of myself. 

After I had evaluated what had happened, I inspected the AC adapter and realized that it was ruined. I had to order a new one. It is going to take a couple of days to be delivered.

So as I write this post I have less than 30 minutes of battery power left on my laptop. I will soon unable to use it until my new adapter arrives.

Once it does I will look at plugging it in and placing it in a place with safety as THE top priority. Lesson learned.   

Like I wrote earlier that doesn't mean anything to you as a reader but it changes the posting dynamic for me over the next couple of days. 

Finally, I want to cheer the arrival of Spring. The "official" start of my 2nd favorite season of the four is arriving as I write this post. 

The cold weather here in south central Kentucky has been lasted farther into the new calendar year than it has in any of the 15 winters I've lived here. 

Usually, by the end of February, the daytime high temperatures are, on average, range between the mid 40's to mid 60's and the flowers have started to sprout up from the ground. That has not been the case this year. 

I know that some of you live in a places that have had a much more harsh winter than I have here. That probably means you are a lot happier to see the change of seasons. 

That's about all I have for today's post. Just had to share my nearly "shocking" experience with my laptop cord and acknowledge the changing of the seasons. 

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be back again tomorrow. 











No comments: