Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hobby Or More?

A week from now will be the anniversary of the night I went to Zanies Comedy Club in Nashville to see Jeff Dunham perform his soon to be world famous ventriloquist act. 

As I wrote in my March 13 post, it was after that show that I decided to try to be a ventriloquist again. It had been 40 years since I had originally tried it. But I was going to try it again. 

Using instructions I found on the internet I learned to perform the art of ventriloquism. It quickly became my hobby and then it became my ministry to the children at my church. That was 8 years ago.

Over that time I have about half a dozen of performances for which I've gotten paid. But most of my gigs have been as part of church ministry or on a volunteer basis. 

As a fan of the show Shark Tank I have heard one of the "sharks", Kevin O'Leary (aka Mr. Wonderful) consistently tell the entrepreneurs one thing. He always says if after 3 years a business or product is not make money it's just a hobby. 

After 8 years, ventriloquism is still just a hobby for me. But I know it can be more. 

I know I have been down this road of resolve several times over the last 8 years. Some of those trips are chronicled on this blog. 

In a time in my life when I can't seem to be able to get hired for even a part time minimum wage job perhaps it's time to look beyond conventional methods of employment. 

Maybe I should finally get serious about becoming a working ventriloquist and create my own job? 

I have a perfect example of the success story in this kind of effort in my own family. My daughter-in-law, Heather, has turned her desire to be an author into a blossoming career. She's now published 5 books and is making money at her dream job. 

Maybe it's time for me to take the road less traveled and create my own job that will be the one I've always dreamed I'd have.  At this point in my life what have I got to lose? 




No comments: