Friday, March 14, 2014

15 Years/ 15 Adventures Part 3

This last post about my adventures, in celebration of my 15 years of living in Kentucky, deals with more vacation destinations and a couple entertainment venues. 

11. Holiday World 
Before I move to Kentucky I had never ever even heard of this small family owned amusement park in Indiana. 

But after my first summer in the south, I understood that despite there being 2 amusement parks that were closer Holiday World was the place to go.

The park is in Santa Claus, Indiana the park; between the city of Evansville and Louisville, Kentucky just a few miles from I-64 on county road 162. But the mention of those cities and roads are just for reference purposes. It's really not close to anything. If you find yourself at the entrance to Holiday World it's because that was your destination or you are REALLY lost.   

Being hooked on thrill rides after my experiences on "The Hulk" coaster at Universal's Island of Adventure park and all the coasters at Dorney Park in Allentown, PA in 2010, I decided that it was time to go to Holiday World and take on their "Big 3." 

The park has a trio of world famous highly acclaimed wooden coasters: The Legend, The Raven, and The Voyage. 

I took my first trip to Holiday World in July of 2011. I went solo. The first time I'd ever gone to an amusement park alone. 


Standing with Santa during my first visit
to Holiday World in July 2011
If you go back and read my August 2, 2011 post you would wonder why I'm mentioning the park as one of my favorite adventures. Over the last 3 years my view about Holiday World has done a 180 degree turn.

I have been back twice in the last 2 summers and I must tell you that I am now a fan of all the coasters. I now feel that The Voyage is one of the best wooden roller coasters I've ever been on. 

Helping in that turn around were a couple of Travel Channel thrill ride specials that explained and explored the experience the coaster is designed to give the rider and just how it does that. 
The signage on the ride building of The Voyage

One of The Voyage's drops that towers over the surrounding trees
Holiday World is a great combination of world class attractions and an old time family oriented amusement park. It's water park, Splashin Safari, has two of the greatest water coaster rides ever. 

The park is a hidden treasure that's not well known outside the Indiana/Kentucky area. But for me it has become one of the 15 best adventures I've had since moving south. 

12. Lexington Opera House
On Mother's Day weekend of 2010 Paula and I took a two day trip to celebrate the success of our weight loss efforts since surgery the previous summer. 

We saw two plays in two days. One of the plays was the national touring company presentation of Disney's Beauty and The Beast on stage at the Lexington Opera House.

This restored historic landmark was a wonderful discovery for us. It is a relatively small charming venue with a great view from anywhere in the house. 


The view from the right side of the Lexington Opera House balcony

Over the last few years we have returned to the Opera House several times. We've seen "Cats" and "The Adams Family." I took my sons to see "Spamalot" there in January 2010.

We love the Lexington Opera House and hope to get back there soon. It's by far one of my best discoveries here in Kentucky. 

13. Chattanooga, Tennessee
In May 2011 Paula and I decided to do something she's wanted to do for most of her life. We went to see Rock City. The entire garden and the paths that weave through it is beautiful. 

The Lover's Leap area is extremely picturesque. Here is one of my all time favorite pictures of Paula and me taken on a landing below and to the left of Lover's Leap.  


The nationally known garden attraction is located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. We decided to make our trip a full vacation and explore the city. 

We also went to see Ruby Falls, rode the incline railroad, visited the Point Park on Lookout Mountain, toured the Tennessee Aquarium, enjoyed a riverboat dinner cruise, and walked across the world's longest pedestrian bridge to ride a carousel in Franklin Park. 

This panoramic picture was taken from Lookout Mountain near the sight of a historic Civil War battle. 



We also found a really cool hamburger joint called "Cheeburger Cheeburger." Paula enjoyed an afternoon at the spa in the Chattanoogan hotel while I visited the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. 

You can read my trip report in a series of blog posts starting on June 2, 2011. I never

Tucked away between the major cities of Nashville and Atlanta, Chatanooga is a city filled with history and natural wonders. More than likely, I would have never gone there if it hadn't been just 3 hours away. 

14. Chicago Vacation
The first time I went to Chicago was in 2008 when I went to the puppet festival in nearby Illinois. I drove into the city just to see the baseball stadiums: US Cellular Field and the legendary Wrigley Field. 

Four years later, in the summer of 2012 Paula and I went on vacation to the windy city. It's very easy to get there. All we had to do was get on I-65 and head north. It's about a 6 hour drive. From my hometown of Phillipsburg, NJ it would have been an twice that far. 

For the short time we were there we really did a lot of things. Here are some of the places we went: Willis Tower, Hancock Observatory, The Magnificent Mile (aka Michigan Avenue), The Field Museum, Alder Planetarium, Navy Pier, Grant Park, Buckingham Fountain, the shore of Lake Michigan, Brookfield Zoo, Crown Fountain, the Cloud Gate sculpture, and US Cellular Field. 

I took a lot of pictures and included a lot of them in my blog trip report. Here I'm including 3 that are among my favorites. 

Tyrannosaurus Sue In The Field Museum 

Our "Selfie" and reflection in the Cloud Gate Sculpture

Leaving our mark on the shore of Lake Michigan

We stayed for 4 days and I left with one conclusion. I love Chicago. I had such a great time that I wrote and posted a 10 part trip report on this blog. If you're interested you can read it starting with the August 24, 2012. 

One final thing about this vacation that still has relevance in my life today. It was during our time shopping on Michigan Avenue that for the first time ever I walked into a Lego store. Enough said. 

15. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Since 2001 I have been to Gatlinburg, Tennessee Five times: Once on a church marriage retreat, once for a family wedding, and 3 times on vacation. 

Paula and I love going to this area and have had a lot of good times there. 

The most unique time spent there was the weekend of James and Brandi's wedding. We didn't do a lot of sight seeing those few days but we had a very good time. We helped our son and daughter-in-law start their life together.

Mr. and Mrs. James Connor Jr.-Just Married
We also shared a large cabin with our family including my sisters and their family who were visiting from PA.

Our Wedding Trip Cabin Gang
Our Gatlinburg vacations have been in a variety of situations. In 2001 we went with just our son, James. 

In October 2011 we went by ourselves and had a great time seeing some of the attractions and doing some shopping. It was a nice getaway weekend. 

Taking a break from shopping near The Old Saw Mill In Pigeon Forge

We also toured the Titanic museum; one of the best we've ever been to. It is an amazing tribute to the people who perished infamous 1914 disaster. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum but here's a shot of the unique design of the building.  

The Titanic Museum from the Outside
 Just last September we went to Pigeon Forge with our friends, Patty and Mark and spent a couple of days exploring the Dollywood theme park. 

Mark, Patty, Paula, and me outside the Saw Mill Restaurant before heading to Dollywood
Paula really likes the Gatlinburg area and so do I. With so much to do in an area that's so relatively close there's no doubt that we'll be going back whenever we can get away.   

This completes my list of 15 adventures I've had over my first 15 years living in south central Kentucky. 

I know that through the lens of the world my life is extremely ordinary, maybe even boring. I'm not considered successful by any means. But from my point of view I have had a "Forrest Gump" like life. 

First and foremost I have a personal relationship with my creator by and through His amazing grace. 

There are people in my life I love and and treasure with all my heart. I am humbled by how much they love me.   

And I have been to more places and done more things in my life than I ever thought would. 

A lot of that has been because of the best decision I have ever made. The choice to move to Kentucky and marry Paula; the woman who is and always will be the Love of My Life. 

Looking back on these last 15 years brings back a million great memories but it also fosters a flame of hope and anticipation. I am certain that the next 15 years and beyond will be filled with even more blessings and many more adventures. 













No comments: