Monday, March 3, 2014

The Ultimate In "Paying It Forward"

The origin of this post has it's place in the opening moments of the Brad Paisley concert I wrote about early last week. 

Paisley was on stage singing what he said he considers his theme song entitled "This Is Country Music". It's about the unique difference and heritage of that genre. 

Here's a link to the You Tube video of Paisley's performance of the song at the 2010 CMA Awards. The song starts about 35 seconds into the video. 

This Is Country Music-Brad Paisley-2010 CMA Awards

I am very familiar with this song but for some reason on that night these words hit me in a new way. 


Are you haunted by the echo of your mother on the phone. 
Cryin' as she tells you that your brother is not coming home.
And if there's anyone who still has pride 
and the memory of those that died 
defending the old red, white, and blue.
This is country music. We do. 

My son, James, served in Iraq a couple of years ago. He was even injured during his time there. Had circumstances that caused his injury been different the lines in the song could have very well applied to our family. By God's grace they do not. 

My mind then jumped to James and the life he has now; specifically how much his daughter adores him. She is a real "daddy's girl". A sobering thought came to me. If James had never come back from Iraq there would be no Aria in our lives. 

I said a silent "thank you" to God for protecting James, bringing him back to us and for blessing us with our granddaughter. 

Quickly my mind jumped to those military family members who weren't so lucky. I was saddened by the thought that because of their ultimate sacrifice some young men never had the chance to become anyone's daddy. 

I thought of the many families that will never have the chance to be blessed by a child because their soldier lost his or her life.   
It really made me sad but made the treasure of having Aria in my life even more special to me. 

Now that night I only thought of the sadness for the children that would never be born. But yesterday I saw a story on the CBS Sunday Morning magazine program that gave me a new perspective on a different aspect of the sacrifice of the soldiers and their families. The story was about a young man named Miles Eckhart. 

Learning about this exceptional young man's actions touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. Rather than try and write his story, here's a link to the CBS news story that aired on "Sunday Morning." 

The Ultimate In Paying It Forward

If you are not touched by this story then you better make sure you have a pulse because you have no heart. 

Although it seems like a fictional story out of Hollywood; it's a true story that happened in Ohio. 

There's not much more I can write after this. After mentioning my thoughts about "This Is Country Music" to my wife a couple of days after the concert I pretty much dismissed the moment.  

But now as the matter has been brought once again to my attention; perhaps now instead of just feeling sorry for those children never born I should look more to helping those who have been left alone. 

Find a way to pay it forward just like Miles Eckhart.



No comments: