Thursday, January 2, 2014

Audience Of One


One of my current passions (some may call it an "obsession") is learning to play the ukulele. 

It's something I've wanted to do for a while now. I bought a uke at a music store in a local flea market bout 2 or 3 years ago. 

Since that time, occasionally I would take it out and try and mess with it but never got serious about it. I kept putting it off because I thought I needed someone to teach me. But couldn't find anyone in our area who gave lessons. 

From my online research I knew that there were plenty of videos and free lessons on You Tube. But I didn't think I would ever be able to teach myself. 

Then at the end of last November I bought an e-book version of the book "Ukulele For Dummies" on my Kindle Fire HD. I got it hoping that it would be the spark that motivated me to finally learn how to play.  

Reading the first chapter brought back to my mind all the reasons I've wanted to play in the first place. I started reading and learning. 

The first song I learned was the classic folk song, "Little Liza Jane." It was only 2 chords and very easy. But to help me concentrate and remember the pair I made the song personal. I started making up words about my granddaughter, Aria. 

I know a girl from Richardsville, Aria Nicole
She really give my heart a thrill, Aria Nicole
O little Aria, Aria Nicole. O little Aria, Aria Nicole

We've always had a connection when it comes to music. Almost since she was born her "Papa" has been singing to her. I saw the uke as yet another opportunity to make that connection.  

Over the holidays she came to our house a couple of times. Each time including last weekend, I got out my uke, sat down on my living room floor, and sang to her. During their Sunday visit my daughter-in-law, Brandi, took this picture. 


At the time this was taken she was "modeling" a Christmas coat my wife had gotten for her. Amid this activity, I got out my uke, and she stopped to sit and listen. It's now one of my favorite pictures of 2013. 

From now on whenever I have doubts about learning to play ukulele, all I have to do is go back to this picture. The look on my sweet little girl's face and the connection we had during those few moments are all the I need to keep going. 

Although I plan on using my newly learned musical ability to minister to others at church and as part of my ventriloquist shows; at the core of my desire to play will always be the anticipation of getting to have another of those special moments. The ones where "Papa" gets to sit down and have some ukulele fun singing with a very precious "Audience of One."





No comments: