Saturday, February 1, 2014

3 Nights & A Morning Of Ministry

This week, for the first time in a while, Paula and I had the opportunity to minister with our voices. I used ventriloquism and my wife her lovely singing voice; not once but twice. 

On Monday night we went to Community Church in Cedar Springs, in Edmonson county; just a few miles north of Smiths Grove. The church which was "planted" about 4 years ago by members of Oakland Baptist Church. 

This week they were having revival services. Paula and her friend Elaine sang a duet during the service Monday night. 

I went along for moral support and really enjoyed seeing the people at Community Church again. I really like the closeness of the members and the spirit of a smaller church. 
Both are reminders of the church I grew up in.  

The revival preacher, Robert Terrance, was someone Paula went to high school with. His wife was one of her best friends back then. Paula was in their wedding. 

After the service offered to sing a song with a vent puppet on Wednesday night. That's when Paula was going to sing with Elaine again. The director of the praise team said I was more than welcome to minister on the last night of revival. 

The next night, on Tuesday evening,  I participated, for the first time, in a ministry I've been interested in helping for a while. 

"Curbside Ministries" is a local Christian outreach effort founded and run by Steve and Terri Sheldon from Bowling Green. Terri grew up attending Oakland Baptist Church. 

"Curbside" is a ministry that brings the gospel message to the children of Bowling Green neighborhoods. They do this in the summer time with an ice cream truck. In the winter they do it by meeting in community centers.  

This past Tuesday night I went with the ministry director, Terri, to the Parker Bennett school campus to be part of their Tuesday night meeting.

Here are some pictures of the kids as they were eating the meal Curbside provided. 



I brought out my puppets after the meal but before the gospel message the Curbside volunteer shared with the kids. I did about 10 minutes of ventriloquism for the children. 

I wasn't sure if I was going to be performing during my first night there; so I really didn't have anything prepared. I did a few jokes and a short routine. They liked both Cecil the Turtle and Awesome Archie Jones. 

I was there for about an hour. As I left,  Terri thanked me for coming and told me that she would call me when they wanted to invite me back. I hope it's soon.  

On Wednesday night, it was back to Community Church. Paula and Elaine sang again. This time it was a medley of the songs "There is None Like you' and one of my favorites, "I Love You Lord". 

Paula and Elaine Singing "I Love You Lord"

I brought along Lanolin the lamb to help me sing. I exchanged a few jokes with her before the song. Of course, she got the best of me, as she always does. Then we sang a Courier's song, "I'm the Lamb That The Shepherd Left The Flock For." 

It wasn't my best performance ever but God blessed it anyway. It got a few laughs, the congregation sang along when asked them to and there was another added blessing. 

The next morning Paula received a Facebook message from Pastor Terrance letting us know that, God had used our ministry. After the service on Wednesday night, a young man accepted Jesus into his life; becoming a Christian. That's what it's all about. 

Then just this morning, Paula and I met with other members of our Sunday School class at our church. We did some much needed "deep cleaning" in the balcony of our sanctuary and in the educational wing of our building. 

We had a great time and the places we worked on look much better. God deserves to have a clean house. 

Our class is really starting to come together in our desire to be an example to our church. A servant's attitude and consistent acts of service is how we have been led to do it. 

So this week has been a blessing. I'm marking it as the starting point of all the ministry I plan on doing in 2014. 

I'm going to do my best to seek out and take advantage of every opportunity God sends my way. This week was a great start.












No comments: