Monday, February 17, 2014

I Knew There'd Be One Soon

A month and a half ago when I committed to writing a post for each day of 2014 I knew there'd be days when I had nothing to write about. Today is one of those days. So I'm just going to string some random items together and call them today's post. 

Yesterday was a unique day for me at church. In the morning service, I gave the Children's sermon. I used my puppet, Cecil the turtle, to explain that Jesus doesn't physically come into our hearts (Cecil held a funnel in his mouth and down his "throat" so Jesus would have an easy time getting into his) but into our lives changing our thinking and our behavior. 

In the evening service, I sang the hymn, "Sweet Hour of Prayer" while playing it on my ukulele; a first for me. 

I didn't think either of those things were my best work. In fact I was not very pleased with either "presentation". But the best thing about doing things in church is that people are very accepting and genuine. I got several compliments and expressions of appreciations for both of my efforts. I am sincerely humbled by all who were so kind to me. 

When fellow church members tell me "good job" and I don't think it was I tell myself that they were looking at me through "God Goggles."  An unseen pair of glasses whose lenses are coated with the Lord's grace so that the "wearer" receives a blessing in spite of everything. Anyone who has ever done any kind of ministry can probably understand what I mean. That's all I have to say about that. 

Finally, in this relatively brief post, a picture. Last December we had our pictures taken for our new church directory. I don't think those directories have been released yet but they should be soon. 

Paula and I took a very nice picture that will be included with our information in the hard copy of the directory. Here's another picture we had taken that won't be but I like a little more...for obvious reasons. 


It's a nice picture of my wife and me but the left side and center of the shot is what makes it one of my favorite pictures of 2013. Of course it's symbolic to because that cutie in the middle of the picture really is the center of the the lives of all the adults around her. 

There you have today's "patchwork" post. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll have thought of an idea to write about. I'm sure I will. I'm committed to it. 

No comments: