Monday, February 10, 2014

Miss Penny


In 2008 my sister-in-law, Theresa, became the owner of a cat named "Penny." The cat belonged to a friend of Theresa's, who lived in Tennessee, and needed a new home. She was an inside cat that was very shy around people. Theresa had just moved into a new apartment after selling her Bowling Green home. She decided to take the cat in. 

When we went to Theresa's apartment for Christmas that year, Penny wouldn't even come out from under the bed. 

It wasn't until Theresa moved back up to Smiths Grove that Penny got used to me and Paula being around her. She grew to really like me. Whenever I would walk into the house she would appear from wherever she was sleeping and make it a point to come up on the couch and sit by me.

A couple of years ago Theresa moved back to Bowling Green. I continued to be one of Penelope's (as I'd come to call her) favorite people. Whenever I visited, the cat would continue to get up next to me on the love seat wanting me to scratch her back. Sometimes she stayed down by my feet on the carpet and rubbed her face up against my sneaker. I have no doubt it was an expression of affection.  

Over the last year Penny has had some health problems. Theresa has spent a lot of money on visits to the vet, tests, medication and surgery. 

But recently the cat had started raising her tail, backing up against a wall,"marking her territory."  She did this all around the apartment causing a constant need for Theresa to clean up after her.  According to the vet there was no physical reason for this. Theresa was not physically able keep up with the cleaning.

So this past week she had to give Penny to the local Humane Society. Needless to say my sister-in-law was very very upset. She now has to get used to life without Penny. 

Having had to say "good-bye" to two pets of my own just a little more than 6 months ago. I know how she feels. I understand the sorrow she is feeling

I went by the day Penny left and gave her a hug. I tried to comfort her but there's nothing that can console such a heartache but time. 

Penny was Theresa's constant companion for more than 6 years. Now that she's gone there's an empty hole in my sister-in-law's heart that nothing is ever going to fill. 

I will miss Penny as well. Being one of her favorite people kind of made me feel special whenever I went to see her. I know that in her own unique way she loved me. She was special to me too. 

So for one last time with a heavy heart I have to say "Good-bye Penelope." Thanks for being a part of our lives. You will be missed. 

   


No comments: