Sunday, February 2, 2014

Pastor Graham's Retiring

Yesterday I posted about my ministry opportunities this past week. One of them was during a revival service at the Community Church at Cedar Springs. 

Once again today I want to write about that church; or rather the leader of that church, Graham Lewis. He has been the pastor of Community Church from its beginning. Today, he preaches his final sermon. He is retiring for good. 

Four years ago he was attending Oakland Baptist Church with his wife, Patsy. At the time he was retired from the ministry of preaching. When Oakland formed a church plant committee; Graham was part of it, mostly because of his experience as a pastor.   

During the process of starting the new Edmonson county church, Graham felt God's call to be it's pastor. He answered that call. 

Graham is a blessed preacher and a wonderful man of God. He is a adamant soul-winner, willing to share the gospel with anyone and everyone he meets.

He is also one of the funniest and loving men I've ever met. He never fails to crack a joke, tell a story, or bring a smile to his congregation. I'd love to have him write material with me some time. 

He's also gifted with knowing what to say when. He's always ready to give a much needed word of advice or just a hug of encouragement. I admire and love him as much as any Christian man I've ever met. 

He's an old school preacher with a heart for God, who loves his Savior, Jesus Christ, and follows the Holy Spirit, no matter where it leads him. 

He has led the people of Community Church from basically a bunch of strangers to a group of "on fire for God" Christians who are bonded and love each other and their pastor dearly. 

To say he is a Godly man is an extreme understatement. Graham is someone that, every man who feels called by God to preach the word needs to model.

I feel blessed to have been able to call him by brother in Christ. 

My personal interaction with him over the years has been very limited in comparison. I can't imagine the emotion his retirement brings to the members of his church whose lives he has had been a part of for years. 

But rather than focusing on himself and his departure from leading his church; Graham has encouraged his congregation to "switch gears and keep going" when their new pastor comes in. What a wonderful Christ like attitude to pass on to his flock. 

I'm not exactly sure what Graham and his wife are going to be doing in their 2nd retirement. But I can tell you this, they deserve any rest, relaxation and reward they get. 

But if I'm any judge of character I'm certain the couple will be anything but idle in retirement. 

So finally as I once again pay tribute to a man who emulates a most excellent example of who a pastor should be, I'd like to say this to Graham and Patsy Lewis.

Paula and I love you two with all our hearts. God bless you in whatever your future holds. Well done thou good and faithful servants.

No comments: