Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2 Nashville 2 C Paisley-Part 3


Let's wrap up this post series with the best part of the concert: Brad Paisley's show. 


This was the view from our new seats. Because of the brightness of the lights the shot is a bit bleached out. 

I was really excited about seeing Brad Paisley in concert. He has been my favorite country singer for about a decade. Ever since his first couple of singles: "Who Needs Pictures" and "He Didn't Have To Be."

The concert wasn't exactly what I expected. It was a very good multimedia presentation. There were lights, lasers, video screens, special effects, videos and more. But I didn't get to hear a lot of the songs I would have wanted.

The most memorable video of the night was one that started out with William Shatner playing Captain Kirk. The captain   was appealing to Paisley to come and rescue him from the "Kardashians." 

What followed was a long guitar solo by Paisley behind an animated video that portrayed members of the band as either a Star Trek or Star Wars character. Mixing those two genres was a little bit of a si-fi "faux pas". But given the make up of the crowd and its collective state of inebriation I was probably the only one who noticed.  

The thing I'll remember most about the night is that Paisley played part of a song on a guitar, autographed it and then gave it to a little boy who was holding a sign that indicated he was a real fan. 

I won't go into a song by song review of the whole show. Overall I enjoyed it but it wasn't what I'd expected. 

First of all it was too loud (more on that is coming up) and there was too much guitar playing and not enough singing. 

Now I know Brad Paisley is one of the best guitar players there is in the music business today and he makes sure everyone knows it by what he does in his concerts. 

But I would have liked to have had him perform more of his slower songs or ballads. He did do an acoustic set but it wasn't long enough. 

Perhaps the highlight of the entire concert was when during the song "Remind Me" Carrie Underwood came out on stage. The crowd went wild. Her vocal performance was a little difficult to hear because of audio problems. 

While the audience really lost their minds when Underwood came out; I wasn't that surprised. I knew when Paisley started singing the song what was going to happen. I wasn't that impressed with her appearance because I really don't care for the song. 

The best visual effect of the show came on the last song. Paisley sang "Water" (a fast song I really like). There was all kind of swimming scenes on the video screens and projected over the entire stage. At the end of the song Paisley got up on the back platform, threw down his guitar, and jumped off into what looked like a water tank and swam away. 

His encore song and the one he ended the concert with was "Alcohol". Of course the half drunk crowd loved the song. But it left me feeling let down. Simply because that song is perhaps my least favorite Brad Paisley song. 

I loved the performances of "Waitin On A Woman" and "This Is Country Music". The tribute videos included with those songs made the concert for me. 

After our evening at Bridgestone that included sitting with our friends; listening to Brad, Carrie, Chris, Danielle perform, and watch the unsolicited "Dirty Dancing" exhibition of the redneck version of "Johnny Castle" and "Baby", Paula and I made a decision. We have out grown arena concerts. They are just too long and too loud. 

We'll continue to attend concerts in halls and theaters but not in an arena venue ever again. I guess that says more about us than it does anything else.  

So that concludes this 3 part series of our trip to Nashville to see Brad Paisley in concert. I've probably written a lot more about it than you ever wanted to know. But in my defense I do have a commitment to writing 365 posts and I'm only about 16% of the way through it. I have to have something to write about.

What else am I going to do? Make videos, put them up on You Tube, blog about them, and include a link for my readers to click to watch them? Hey wait a minute??? That's so crazy it just might work. Keep in touch you just may have just witnessed the birth of a notion.  







No comments: