Monday, February 24, 2014

2 Nashville 2 C Paisley-Part 1

As mentioned yesterday, this the first in what will be at least a 2 part post series. It's about my first excursion of 2014 to the city of Nashville. It was part of the 2nd half of a busy February Saturday. We went to a Brad Paisley concert at the Bridgestone Arena in downtown Nashville.

There are a lot of things I could write about this trip that would portray the experience as a bad one. But I'm not going to. More on my reasoning behind this decision in the next post. 

About a month ago our friend, Patty Quigley, mentioned that her daughter, Amy, was going to get some tickets to a Brad Paisley concert on February 22. With the military discount (Amy is currently enlisted in the US Air Force) the ticket cost would be just $15. 

I am a Brad Paisley fan. He is my favorite contemporary country music singer. I jumped at the chance to go see him at such a low price. 

On Saturday afternoon, Paula, Patty, and I left for Nashville about 3:30 PM. We were going to meet Amy and some her friends from her church for dinner at a place we'd never eaten before, The Nashville Pharmacy. 

The Nashville Pharmacy is a small restaurant/bar located in the 700 block of McFerrin Avenue in Northeast Nashville. It specializes in burgers, beer and old school soda fountain treats. Those treats include homemade sodas. They call them "phosphates." That's just an old fashioned word for the type of carbonation. 

There's also old fashioned style ice cream sodas, flavored with a variety of flavored syrups, milkshakes and malts. 

The main menu featured specialty hamburgers accented with a wide variety of toppings making a specific flavor combination. Or you can create your own burger by adding the toppings of your choice. 

There was also a choice of a variety of homemade sausages which the call "wursts" 

The menu also includes a small variety of sides including German style potato salad, sweet potato fries and regular fries. 

Here's the link to the restaurant's website for all the information you may need to know if you are interested in learning more. The Pharmacy In Nashville 

When we arrived at the restaurant it was very crowded with people waiting outside. We were told we had about a 45 minute wait for a table but we only waited about half that time. 

We were led through the main dinning room and bar area to our table. This part of the restaurant was relatively small and jam packed. I'm glad we were led up some steps to their indoor patio area enclosed in glass windows. There was also an outdoor patio area that would have been a nice place to sit had it been a warmer afternoon. 

Here's a picture of my wife and our friends at our table. 
  
About 30 minutes after we sat down 3 of Amy's friends joined us: Sara, Rachel and her fiance, Scott. The couple had come to dinner just after their wedding shower. All three were very nice young adult Christians.  It was a pleasure to meet them.

The only negative thing I can say about our Pharmacy experience was that it took more than 30 minutes after we ordered to get our food. 

Paula and I both ordered burgers. Mine was just a plain cheeseburger with cheddar, Swiss, and Munster on it. 

The burgers were on breading that was a cross between a dinner roll and an English muffin. It was good but I'd never had anything like it before. 

The burger was very large probably about 8 ounces in weight and 4 inches in diameter. It was accompanied by a huge portion of french fries cooked in peanut oil. They were delicious. I couldn't stop eating them; something I'd come to regret. 

Paula had Stroganoff burger with sour cream on it. She said it was good. Patty ordered a cherry ice cream soda. Paula had a taste saying it was "very rich". I was going to try an ice cream soda but after seeing the size of my meal, decided  against it. 

For me this restaurant experience turned negative but it was my own fault. The food was so good I just gobbled it down as fast as I could. I overate to the point where it upset my stomach. The quantity of what I ate combined with the amount of fat in it was not good for me. 

When you are a gastric bypass patient and you get an upset stomach from over eating fatty foods it is very unpleasant. While waiting for the rest of those at our table to eat their meals or enjoy a couple cups of coffee I was miserable. 

My "pouch" aka my stomach, would take care of my indigestion. I won't go into details but will say that by the time we got to the arena for the concert I was feeling better.  

The coffee that was served to my wife, Patty, and Sara was exceptionally good. When the shift manager came by our table they asked him what brand of coffee it was. Much to our surprise he knew the name of the coffee and told us who their supplier was. 

The cost of our meal (we only had burgers platters and soft drinks) was under $25. For the quality of the food that was 
very reasonable. You can check out the menu on the website to see what your meal might cost you. 

I would not hesitate to go back to The Pharmacy again. Next time I'll know to split a platter with Paula. Half a burger and a side would be plenty. 

After everyone finished their meal we left for downtown Nashville heading to the Bridgestone Arena and the Brad Paisley concert. More on that tomorrow in part 2. 

No comments: