Sunday, February 23, 2014

Job Fair Morning

Yesterday, Saturday February 22, I got up early and headed into Bowling Green. The purpose of my early morning venture was to attend a pair of job fairs. 

I've been to several job fairs over the past couple of months but the two I went to on Saturday are for jobs that you could say are on my "bucket list." 


The first job fair was for a summer job at Beech Bend Park, a local amusement park.  Ticket sales and retail department was the position I expressed interest during my interview.  

I know it's a universe away from Walt Disney World but I've always been curious about what its like to work in an amusement park atmosphere. This may be my chance. 

After a brief initial interview I was told I'd be called back for a second interview next week. 

The next job fair on my morning agenda was for the Bowling Green Hot Rods baseball team.


This is the 2nd time this year I've applied with the Hot Rods. The jobs I interviewed for this time are ticket agent and video production team. 

Now I still have not had any kind of call back or contact from the Hot Rods regarding my audition for being their PA announcer for the season. 

When I asked the Hot Rods people at the job fair about decision on the PA position they told me that "they were still working on it" and would be in contact with me soon. 

So during the pair of interviews I had at this job fair I made sure they knew that being the PA announcer is my top preference when it comes to working for the Hot Rods. 

I also made it very apparent that working for their organization would be something that I would be proud to do. 

Working for a professional baseball organization is something I've wanted to do since I've been a baseball fan. At first my plans included doing it as a major league player, then as a baseball announcer. 

As an 11 year old boy, somehow, I came up with the idea that baseball teams paid people to be "professional fans" just to make sure there was always spectators at their games. I planned on growing up and being one of those fans. What can I say? I was 11. 

Now that all those dreams for being part of the world of baseball are long over I can still make a bit of my childhood goal come true by working in the minor league organization right here in South Central Kentucky.  

So now there's a couple more possibilities for getting another part time job to get back to the income level I had when working full time. 

I've always been good at getting part time jobs. There was a time back in the early 90's when I had 4 part time jobs at the same time. They were how I made ends meet while I attended business school for a year. 

I'm thinking perhaps that may be the way to go now that I'm older. I'll just have to see how things go. 

So that was how I spent this past Saturday morning. But Saturday was a memorable day for other reasons. I'll be posting more about those details this coming week. 


No comments: