Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Peggy!

Today is my sister, Peggy's birthday. I have already called her on the phone and told her "happy birthday" but I wanted to post it on my blog as well.

In the past I have tried to explain to Peggy what her an influence she has been on me. I don't know if I've done a good job of it but I've tried. She is one of the biggest reasons I know so much about music from the 60's. When I was a youngster (under age 10) it was the records and albums she played on her record player that familiarized me with the pop music of the day. I spent a lot of time looking through the red and white striped boxes that contained her 45 record collection memorizing the names of the songs and the artists. To this day when hear the song "Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups from 1964 I get a mental picture of the Red Bird record label.

Her musical taste was very eclectic. She listened to Top 40 artists such as the Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Paul & Paula, Diane Renay, Connie Francis and a whole lot more. She also liked country singers like Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette. I can still sing songs from each of their greatest hits album word for word.

While other people had influence on me and my taste in music as I grew up; I consider my sister, Peggy, at the top of the list. My love and appreciation of the music that she introduced to me is a gift that I will never lose. I'm grateful for that gift. Thanks Peg.

Even as an adult Peggy continues to inspire me. She has grown and accomplished so much over the last few years. For almost 3 years now she has been dedicated to eating right and losing weight in an effort to become healthy. When I think about the long road I have to travel to get to that end myself I more convinced that it is possible because of what my sister has accomplished.

Today she continues to make herself a better person. In the first week of May she had surgery to replace her right knee. It was a tough and painful ordeal for her. She struggled and expressed regret the first days after the operation. Still she kept on doing her exercises and going to physical therapy. She's getting better every day. Her decision to even have the surgery is a testimony to her determination to be happier and healthier. She inspires me.

So there you have some of the things about my sister Peggy that I like to brag about. The fact that she loves and cares about me and has been there for me every day of my life is what makes her a wonderful sister. I'm blessed to have her in my life.

Happy Birthday Peggy!

No comments: