Sunday, August 30, 2009

Thank You, Pastor Ed

A NOTE FROM RON: The following post was written in appreciation of the music minister at my church. It's very similar to a post I wrote on Monday, June 29, the day after he presented his resignation to the church. Both were written from the heart and just reconfirm how much both Paula and I love Pastor Ed and Dianne as church members and appreciate what they've done in their service to God and our church during their time there.

Today was the last day the music minister at my church, would serve in that position. I'll tell you more about the reason why he's leaving later.

I believe Pastor Ed served as leader of the music ministry at my church for about 4 years. He improved it in ways which are too many to write about in this post. Right now I just want to let you know what his ministry and his friendship have meant to Paula and me.

It was under Pastor Ed’s ministry that Paula became excited about and more involved in the church music ministry; especially the church choir. This was significant in a couple of ways. Perhaps most importantly it gave her an identity in church ministry other than being “Mr. Ron’s wife.”

She felt encouraged enough to start singing solos again. Her creative passion and the support she received from Pastor Ed quickly led her to move from choosing traditional hymns to more contemporary Christian songs for her solos. This was something that didn't just bless the congregation. I truly believe that God helped to grow Paula spiritually through the experience of learning and preparing to sing those solos. Most recently she joined the praise team, which leads the worship singing on Sunday mornings, and several all woman trios and quartets.

Yes, over the past 4 years or so my wife has really become involved in being a minister of music at church. Pastor Ed had a large part in the growth in her ministry. Thank you, Pastor Ed.

He was also a big encouragement to me in many ways as well. It was July of 06 that I began my ventriloquism ministry at my church. From the beginning Pastor Ed was a supporter. Because he was in charge of keeping the morning worship service flowing in an effective and worshipful manner he always made sure I had the set up to do what I was doing that morning.


Whether it was ventriloquism at the start of the service or the children’s sermon in the middle; Pastor Ed always looked after what I needed and helped me with the transitions. He also laughed at my jokes too; well, most of them.

Over the last couple of years Pastor Ed encouraged me to sing solos as well. He always asked me if I had something ready when he needed someone to sing. I can’t recall exactly how many solos I’ve done over these last couple of years but I do remember 2 of them specifically. I have written posts about each of them so I won’t go into great detail about them.

Singing the songs “My Tribute” and “Statue Of Liberty” in a morning worship service on two separate occasions gave me a pair of spiritual blessings I will always remember. For more details on these blessings read my posts from November 24, 2008 and July 5, 2009. When I sang “Statue of Liberty”, on the Sunday before I went in for my weight loss surgery, I didn’t just sing a song. I sang my testimony.

Because of Pastor Ed’s leadership and faith in me I was able to receive those blessings. Thank You, Pastor Ed.

I couldn’t acknowledge the blessing that the ministry of Pastor Ed has been with mentioning his wife, Dianne. She is truly the woman behind the man but a blessing in and of herself. Her involvement with Operation Christmas Child each year has helped children all over the country. Her accomplishment of running the Walt Disney World marathon race last year was an inspiration as well.

Together as a couple Pastor Ed and Dianne not only were a blessing to our church choir but in 2007 & 2008 they opened their home for a canasta tournament. On Kentucky Derby day church members and along with some of their family members gathered in Pastor Ed’s and Dianne’s living and dining rooms for an afternoon/evening of card playing sandwiched around a wonderful pot luck dinner. It was one of the most fun events of the year. I especially enjoyed it because I won a prize both years.


The reason Pastor Ed is resigning as music minister is because he and Dianne will be moving to Florida to be close to family. We all hate to see them go. But we are thankful that God has allowed them to minister to and with us for as long as they have. They are special people and special friends. They even loaned us their treadmill to use after we had surgery.

For me one of the bright sides of Pastor Ed and Dianne moving is that they will be living near Orlando. They have made Paula and I promise that we will come visit them some day. While we're there I can’t see any reason not to go visit Mickey and friends in Disney World. Just another reason in the future to say “Thank You, Pastor Ed.”

No comments: