Monday, August 3, 2009

Happy Dogs And A Cemetery

Today being Monday I decided that I wanted to start the week by making a decision regarding an activity that should be one of my top priorities: exercise.

In the weeks since my surgery I have really not changed my attitude toward exercise. I have gotten up and moved more than I did before surgery. Paula and I went out walking several times a week as far as I could go. But I have not given exercise the place it needs to have in order to be obedient to God and lose the weight I need to lose. That changed today.

Starting today I am committed to giving exercise top priority in my day. What that means is this. Instead of my physical activity being some thing I plan on fitting in at the end of or in some other convenient place in my day I will do it at the start.

Paula has already made this change in her priorities. She has been getting up and going to a local gym to exercise before she goes to work since last Tuesday. I am so proud and inspired by her. If she can do it so can I.

Having committed to this new top priority, I decided to walk through the cemetery at the end of my block. From my house, a walk around the grave yard and back is 1/2 mile.

So I wouldn't be walking alone I decided to take my 2 dogs with me. I wasn't sure I could handle taking both of them at the same time so I walked each of them around the cemetery once. That means I walked 1 mile. That's only the 2nd time I've walked that far since surgery.

Each of my puppies were very happy to be out and walking again. They haven't been for a walk like that in over 2 years. They celebrated their new activity with a long nap afterwards.

So day 1 of my new commitment to exercise was a success. Now I've got to keep it up until it becomes a habit that benefits my physical condition and my weight loss effort.

No comments: