Monday, August 10, 2009

Displaying Dad's Trains


Last month when we rearranged our living room we replaced one of the storage cabinets with a bookshelf. On the bottom 3 shelves we have displayed our DVD collection. Paula suggested that we use the top shelf to display my dad's model railroad cars.

They have been wrapped up and put away since I brought them back from New Jersey about 5 years ago.

The engine, passenger car, box car, and caboose represent the memory of my father's hobby, model railroading. His passion for it began when he was a teenager. It was a passion he pursued the rest of his life.

The display I created is pictured above. The four cars were hand painted and very meticulously lettered by dad himself. The picture in the back ground shows a train from a railroad company called "The Chessie System" crossing over a bridge. The picture has a double meaning.

"The Chessie System" was one of my dad's favorite railroads. He liked it so much he even named one of our cats after it. The bridge in the picture reminds me of "Green's Bridge" a railroad bridge that passes over a section of South Main in my hometown of Phillipsburg, New Jersey.

I'm very pleased with this memorial to my dad. I am very grateful to Paula for suggesting that we add it to our new living room. The timing of it's creation has special significance as well. It was 10 years ago this month that Dad went be with the Lord in heaven. I still miss him very much.

From now on when I'm in my living room I'll be able to look up and see a representation of one of the things he enjoyed during his life here with us. It will help me to remember that Dad is now in the only place he ever wanted to be; the presence of his creator. I can then remember and faithfully lean on the hope that one day soon I will be reunited with him as we spend eternity in Heaven praising the Lord forever.

No comments: