Sunday, July 12, 2009

Getting To Know Me

It's been a week since my last so I thought it was time that I start posting again.

First of all I want to give thanks and praise to God for being with me during my surgery and hospital stay. I had very little difficulty coming out of the anesthesia and little pain from the surgery itself. I could move in and out of bed to go walking with relative ease. Adjusting in the bed was a nuisance most of the time but barely painful. I used the pain killer button mostly to help me sleep. I also got a lot more sleep during my stay than Paula did during hers. I guess because I didn't have as much going on.

I had to stay an extra day because of some concern with my kidneys but God even took care of that. When the focus of my condition became whether the kidneys were working like they were supposed to God turned them on like Niagara Falls. Enough said about that.

I just want to let everyone know that even though it may appear that my surgery was "routine" there were elements of my experience that confirmed to me without a doubt that God was there with me in that hospital room watching over me the entire time.

I've been home from the hospital since last Thursday about noon. During that time I've realized that I'm on a sort of "gastronomic honeymoon" with my new stomach pouch.

I've had to come to terms with exactly how much fluid it will accept and how much makes it upset or bloated. I've learned to slow down and sip all my liquids. I have quickly learned that my pouch is now the ruler of my diet and eating habits. If the pouch isn't happy; no body's happy.

I can really only describe the feeling of an "unhappy pouch" to be like when you get a stomach virus and you wish you could get sick just so you feel better. Only the solution for this is some Pepcid or just waiting it out and going slower next time.

The song that has been going through my head is the one from "The King & I" called "Getting To Know You". The lyrics go like this: Getting to know you. Getting to know all about you. Getting to like you. Getting to hope you like me."

That's the way I feel about my newly arranged digestive tract. I'm trying to be patient and learn how "we" are going to work together to help me reach my weight loss goal. It was a little shaky the first couple of days. But as some time has passed and I've learned a few preliminary things I'm pretty sure this it the beginning of a "beautiful friendship." It has to be there's no turning back now.

No comments: