Friday, February 12, 2010

An Anniversary For Angel


I know it's highly unusual for me to write 2 posts in the same day. But I couldn't let this day go by without mentioning the anniversary of a 2005 event that's brings adventure to our house and joy to our lives still today.

It was 5 years ago today that James, Brandi, Paula and I drove to Hardinsburg, Kentucky to adopt our new puppy, Angel.

At the time getting a 2nd dog was James' and Paula's idea. Dory, while a good dog, wasn't exactly the playful companion that James had anticipated. He wanted a puppy to play with and Paula wanted a "lap dog".I was against it and had to be convinced.

So after searching the internet for and finding a puppy who would be right for us on Saturday February12, 2005 we drove 2 hours northeast to adopt our new canine addition.

One of the key concerns for me in getting a puppy was the way Dory would react to it. Would she accept being the first of two dogs in the house or would she not accept the pup? Above you see a shot of one of their first initial moments together. You can almost see their eyes meeting. This is the moment that a "sisterhood" was formed.

It's now 5 years later and Angel is now more "my dog" than anyone's. James has moved to his own home and has 2 dogs of his own. Paula really loves Angel but over the last 5 years Angel's grown out of the realm of ever being the "lap dog" she originally wanted.

Angel is very loving, loyal and fun. She's also demands a lot of attention. Her and Dory have a sisterly bond that's as strong as any I've ever seen in a pair of pets. Angel, considers herself in charge of her sister and consistently chews on Dory's ears and does other things to show that she's never going to be the submissive little sister. Dory tolerates Angel's aggression but very emphatically let's her know when she's gone too far.

I love both of my dogs very much and they love me. Of course what's not to love about me. I feed them, and water them everyday. I give them treats, bones and baths. Two of those three things they really like. We walk together nearly every day and always have fun even if it's just sitting around doing nothing.

It's hard to believe but our little puppy, Angel, is now 5 years old. I would have to say that even though I didn't want a 2nd dog at the time we got her; I couldn't imagine life without her today. I consider her and Dory blessings from God.

No comments: