Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Wrap Up


Well another Christmas celebration has passed. For me, as I'm sure is the case for you, this year held a series of special events, traditions, memories, and a few extra calories. Here's a brief review of what I'll remember most about this Christmas.

For the first time since Paula and I were married we spent Christmas Eve by ourselves. Traditionally we'd spend the evening with our sons. But this year as the sun went down and the world began to "shut down" and settle into the Christmas hush my wife and I found ourselves with the privilege of spending, what I think is, one of the most romantic nights of the year with just the two of us.

Having spent the day at home, we decided to get out and go to see a movie. Knowing that most children and their parents were out visiting family and friends, or at home getting ready for Santa's visit I thought it might be a good time to go see the new Disney movie, The Princess and The Frog. Was I ever right. We had the theater to ourselves. That's right on Christmas eve my wife and I got to watch the latest animated feature from Disney in an exclusive private showing. Thanks Santa Claus.

On Christmas day, as has become the tradition, our family gathered at my sister-in-law's house. This year she only lives about 3 minutes from our house. We all arrived about 9:30 AM and began opening presents around 10. We took turn opening gifts.Among the gifts exchanged were a couple of Ipods (Paula and I gave one to each other), ITunes gift cards, DVD movies, Gift cards, Christmas ornaments, hand made glass sculptures, movie tickets, Christmas ornaments, candy and other stuff I can't recall right now.

Everyone was please with their presents. The only exception was a gift James opened. Paula bought their little dog, Bailey, a doggie Snuggie (one of those blankets with sleeves that you see on infomercials). The look on his face when he opened it was priceless. He wasn't very happy at the thought of his dog wearing it. Later in the day he would try it on her and she liked it. He didn't seem to mind it then. It actually kept her warm.

The last gift given was for Paula. Theresa had made a stained glass model of the Fruit of The Loom logo in a cherry wood base for her office. Its a very nice piece. Theresa did a great job with it.

After about 90 minutes of a very leisurely gift opening experience we ate a midday Christmas dinner. Theresa was a very gracious host and provided us with a wonderful lunch. There was ham, barbecue, chicken, corn, green beans, stuffing, and fresh baked rolls. There was more than enough food with plenty leftovers for the boys to take home.

Shortly after eating Brandi and James had to go visit with her family. Michael & Heather stayed a while longer before saying their "thank you"'s and "Good bye"s. Paula and I stayed and spent a couple more hours with "T" then headed home ourselves.

I called my family in Pennsylvania and spoke with my sisters and other family members. I really miss them on Christmas. I was happy to hear that they had and were having a wonderful day of giving and being together too. The only exception was that Jordan, the son of my niece Marci, was at home sick with a fever. Poor little guy. No one should be sick on Christmas. He had to stay home and open his presents. Nevertheless he later told his mom it was the best Christmas ever.

Later on in the afternoon James and Brandi came over to our house and stayed into the early evening. They played Paula's new Mario Brothers game for the Wii (a gift from Michael & Heather). It was funny watching the two newlyweds trying to work together as a team without much success. Before they left we watched a couple of episodes of the TV show "My Name is Earl" on DVD. Paula gave them to me for Christmas.

So those are my memories from Christmas 2009. Like most big events of the year now that it's over I have to mentally regroup and move on. This year I got a "jump start" with that because I had to go to work today. I had to get back to the normal routine at least for a couple of days.

I hope you enjoyed my Christmas story and that you and your family had a "good one" this year as well. Now it's onto New Year's day and a fresh start in 2010. Thanks for all the memories Christmas 2009. It was different but it was fun.

No comments: