Monday, December 21, 2009

A Child's Wonder At Christmas


As Christmas Day gets closer and more and more seasonal events go by it becomes time to get a bit retrospective about the holiday season.

With 4 days left until Christmas I still have some shopping, wrapping and other things to do but that's not the important part of Christmas.

The gift of God's son, Jesus Christ, to all of us is the only lasting thing that's important about Christmas. But in His infinite wisdom and blessing God has allowed other aspects of the holiday to be enjoyable and special for all of us.

Here's the best picture I've taken all Christmas season in that it conveys one of those enjoyable aspects. It's a personification of a child's wonder; specifically the wonder of Santa Claus. The momentary gaze exchanged between St. Nick and this little girl can be summed up in so many ways. The look on her face is evidence that she is thinking 1000 things at the same time. They all come out a combination of amazement and faith.

Those are some of the same child like qualities we must have to be part of God's family. Jesus said we must become as a little child to be part of His Kingdom. Do you have the same feeling in your heart about Christ as this little girl, based on her expression, does about Santa?

I took this photograph at our annual "Dinner with Santa" event at my church. I took the picture myself but I didn't ask permission of the child's parents to use it here. I apologize if there's an issue with that.

My only intention in using it is to show this beautiful example of one of the aspects of the Christmas holiday season: A Child's Wonder At Christmas.

No comments: