Thursday, January 8, 2009

Yearbook Project Revival

Back in 2007 I made the decision that as a Christian I needed to start spending my life doing things that mattered and were less self-centered than my yearbook projects.

Now those of you who have never seen one of my yearbooks let me explain. It's a 6 inch 3 ring binder filled with pages of autobiographical stories, photographs, and pictures of things that happened to me during a specific year. I also created a "soundtrack" CD which had up to 2 dozen songs on it. The songs were reminiscent or symbolic of incidents recalled in the yearbook. My completed yearbooks cover 2001-2004. There's also a Disney yearbook with details about our week-long trip to Walt Disney World in January 2004. They are very detailed and usually took about a year or more to complete.

As I said some time around the middle of June 2007, I realized that God had some important things He wanted me to to do. As I soon discovered teaching Children's Church and performing ventriloquism were just two of them. I had to set priorities with the use of my time and abilities. I decided that my Yearbook projects should be at the bottom of the list and that they "didn't make the cut." My 2004 yearbook was my last completed project.

However I did continue taking pictures of people, places, and events that were special in my life. I always felt compelled to do so but a little frustrated that I had nothing to do with them but store them on my computer or print them out and put them in a dull photo album.

Just last week I believe I found the answer to my "picture" problem. The answer begins with the Christmas present my oldest son gave to his mom (my wife): A photo memory book. The book is a cloth bound album of reprinted pictures taken at his wedding last October. It's really nice. When I asked him where he got it he told me it came from Wal-mart. He up loaded pictures onto their photography website, created and customised the book, had it delivered to the local store. Hearing that I experienced a "Eureka!" moment.

I visited the Wal-Mart website and looked at the types of picture books that can be created. What I had found was an answer that would allow me to put my pictures into more accessible format and feed my on-going desire to preserve the memories of each year. I can do them both with the creation of a relatively inexpensive product from Wal-Mart.

I have started working on my 2005 "Pictures of the Year" book and I should be finished by the end of next week. It really doesn't take that much time but I have to make sure it's organized and formatted the way I want it to be before I finally order it.

Don't worry I have this all in perspective. My new Yearbook projects aren't going to suddenly move back to the top of my priority list. I will continue to put my best efforts into the things that are in direct obedience to what I know God wants for my life. In addition creating the books will take less time than before because they involve just a fraction of the material I used to put in my yearbooks.

So there you have the first thing I'm really excited about in 2009: the revival of my Yearbook project but in a different form. I'll let you know when I get the 2005 version completed. Wait, I probably won't have to let you know. I'll more than likely have it with me sometime when I see you and I'll come up to you and ask you if you'd like to see it. You'll say "yes" because know I've at least made you somewhat curious.

No comments: