Thursday, January 15, 2009

Work Hours Require Better Focus

As of this past Monday, and for the foreseeable future, my work hours have increased. Prior to the start of this week I was working a schedule of 20-25 hours. Now for the next 4 weeks I'm scheduled for 25-31 hours. These hours are 2nd shift hours. They begin at 3:30 in the afternoon and usually last until 8:3oPM. They also include the weekends when I work until midnight. These are not the full time hours like I was working last year at this time. But after 9 months of having more free time than I knew what to do with the increased hours and their place in the day have made me realize that I've got to have a change in attitude and actions if I want to get anything done around the house and in my life outside of my job.

What I mean is that I no longer have a unlimited time to do things at home or for myself during the day. I'm not complaining but this change in lifestyle has opened my eyes in regard to the sinful pattern of neglect I had allowed myself to get into in regard to my time. Now I realized the that I was being lazy for quite a while but didn't take any measures to get out of it. I want both my wife and God to know that I am deeply sorry for my lazy behavior.

Since April of last year in my mind it really didn't matter if I decided to sit and watch the Game Show Network instead of doing the dishes or writing checks to pay our bills or practicing ventriloquism. I could do it later or tomorrow or later in the week. Now with 7 to 10 hours cut out of my day because of work my time is limited. This means I need to rethink my priorities. I have to put forth an effort to get the important things done. That means more time working on things and less time for leisure.

For me this means making a daily "to do" list and a disciplined effort to accomplishing all of it or as much as possible. Some of the things that will be on that list on a daily basis for sure are: daily bible reading; prayer; listening to my online gospel programs; cleaning the house; and walking or exercise of some kind.

So now that I've realized the change I have to make I need to make it. So far this week I've done a pretty good job of it. I haven't been able to get everything I have wanted to do done. But when it comes time to go to work each day I do feel a sense of accomplishment. That's a whole lot better than the feeling that I've wasted the whole day doing nothing. I'm also sure it pleases God and Paula as well.

No comments: