Friday, January 16, 2009

"Disney Week" Begins

Five years ago today my family and I were preparing to take our very first family vacation together. We were going to see "The Mouse" at Walt Disney World. We would leave early the next morning, Saturday January 17, 2004 for the Nashville airport. The picture to the right shows my 2 sons sitting at the airport gate waiting to leave.

For nearly a year I had been planning this once in a lifetime vacation so that it would special. Little did I know how special our 7 days in "The World" would actually be.

Ever since we returned back home and to this day I have treasured the memories from that trip. I even created a nearly 200 page book preserving the pictures and memories of that wonderful week.

I have paid homage to that week in South Florida by designating January 17-23 each year since as "Disney Week." During that time I relive, recall and reflect on the actual trip, the effect it had on me, and the changes in my life since that trip.

Over the next week I will be posting memories and recollections about our trip and the changes that have taken place since that time. I know it's awful self indulgent but I don't mean it to be egotistical. I use "Disney Week" as a benchmark to take inventory of my life in comparison to where I was in January 2004 and who I am today. I pray that you will find it interesting; at the very least entertaining, and perhaps even a bit inspiring. Get ready because starting tomorrow: It's Disney Week!

No comments: