Monday, September 8, 2008

Sunday, Busy Sunday

Yesterday was one of the busiest Sunday’s I’ve had in a long time. In the morning, as usual, I went to church. While there I gave one of my fellow deacons a book and gave another church member some instructional DVDs about ventriloquism for her grandsons to watch. During the Worship Service I presented the children’s sermon. I also helped out with Children’s Church. The teachers for this month are new and wanted some support.

After the church service was over my wife had a meeting with the church finance committee to work on next year’s budget. As a favor to her I went and got their lunch at Subway and took it back to the church.

My pastor had asked me earlier in the week to teach the Sunday night Bible Study group that meets in the sanctuary. So after playing lunch delivery man I went home to prepare what I was going to teach.

About 2:15 I went see a performance of the musical “Grease” presented by a local youth theater group. Three of the teenagers who help out with Children’s Church were in the cast. I had promised them that I would go. I enjoyed seeing them on stage and had the opportunity to visit with them briefly afterwards. I congratulated them on their performances.

When the play ended it was close to the time I needed to be back at church for the evening services. As I was driving up the highway I checked my notes and reviewed in my mind just what I wanted to say.

While I usually try to make my Sunday night teaching sessions interactive with a lot of questions and opinions from everyone I didn’t do that this time. My material was taken from a book I’ve been reading called “Respectable Sins.” I focused on the chapter that dealt with Christians and the sin of being ungodly. There was a lot of material to cover in a short time so I wasn’t as thorough as I wanted to be. But I believe I got the message across.

Also before I left church one of my fellow church members gave me something that may lead to a job. She does medical transcription. I had considered doing that a few years ago but decided not to pursue it. It involves listening to a doctor’s dictated notes on tape and then typing them up on the computer. You get paid so much per line that you type.

She gave me a dictation machine and a tape that she has already transcribed so I can try it out for myself. I can listen, type what I think I hear and compare it to what she has transcribed. It may be an opportunity to make some money working from home. I’ll have to let you know how that turns out.

After getting home from church both my wife and I were hungry. We decided to go out and get a bite to eat. We drove to a local downtown area to a restaurant called “Mariah’s.” Over the last year or so it has become my favorite restaurant in town. Ironically it’s located just behind the theater I had gone to earlier in the day.

My wife had a nice salad dish and I had a very large serving of lasagna. It was delicious. There was so much of it I probably shouldn’t finished it. But it was the best lasagna I’d gotten at a restaurant in a long time so I ate it all.

The good food we had and the time we spent together talking about anything and everything put a fine cap on a nice evening and a very busy day.

In addition to everything else that went on during the day it was also the first week of my new fantasy football season. I thought I was going to have a good team this year. But unfortunately I lost my first match up by more than 50 points. (Sigh) It’s going to be a long season.

Well, at least the rest of the day was pretty good.

No comments: