Thursday, September 18, 2008

AGT's Little Princess Goes Home

Tonight on the NBC show America's Got Talent the final 5 contestants were chosen based on the votes received after the show last night. My favorite little singer, Kaitlyn Maher, didn't make it to the final round.

In what proved to be her final performance her voice was a little shaky as though she had a frog in her throat or needed to clear it. She sang the song "I'll be there" made famous by both The Jackson 5 and Mariah Carey. Before she came on stage I knew that she had to have a very convincing "over the top" performance to advance to the final show. While she sang as best as she could and remembered all the words I knew it wouldn't be enough. Once again my wife and I voted close to 150 times for her.

As we watched the show tonight my wife and I knew that as contestants are called forward in pairs you can tell from the match ups who is going to advance. When it came time to announce the 3rd spot in the final 5 Kaitlyn was paired with Neil E. Boyd, an opera style singer who had a strong performance the night before. I knew then that Kaitlyn was going back to her home town in Virgina. I'm a 48 year old man but I'll admit as Kaitlyn so courageously stood there on the stage watching her "journey"on the show via video tape a tear came into my eye. The 4 year old's dream was over.

From now on every time I hear the song "Somewhere Out There" I will not think of Fivel Mouskowitz, the character who sang it in the movie, An American Tale; or the duo of James Ingram and Linda Ronstadt, who hit the Top 40 charts with the song back in 1988. Always and forever when I hear that song I will think of the little 4 year old from Virgina who in her initial audition declared, with much more pride than any presidential candidate in this year's election ever could, "I'm from America."

Thank You Kaitlyn Maher. Your pursuit of the top prize in the nation's 2nd most famous talent search has touched my heart and made me smile a lot over the last 3 months. I know you are only 4 and probably will show up again to entertain me and the rest of America.

But if you don't as you grow up I urge you to always pursue your dreams, whatever they may be, with the same passion and persistence you did your love of singing in front of America when you were 4. God Bless You Kaitlyn Maher

No comments: