Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sharing What I've Learned About God

Over the last year or so I have learned a lot about God through studying the Bible and allowing him to work in my life. I have learned from the scriptures that He is always true to his promises but may use different means or ways to fulfill them for different people. More about that in a moment but first let me tell you why I bring this subject up.

Tonight after my small group bible study at church I went into the youth room for the first time in a long time just to hang out with a couple of the kids who were there. One of them was asking the youth pastor, Jason, about God's nature and how he worked.

Realizing that this boy was asking the same questions I had been looking into myself I joined in the conversation. Jason explained that God must always be true to His nature and will always do what He promises to do including meeting the needs of those who have faith in and follow Him. He gave the example of God supplying Abraham with a ram just as he was about to sacrifice his son, Issac.

I added that God sometimes comes through with His promises in different ways. He met Abraham's need for a substitute sacrifice at the exact moment he needed it. In contrast, I explained, God began meeting Joseph's brothers need for food during the famine 7 years before it even started. He caused Joseph to be elevated to governor of Egypt which put him in charge of storing up grain and other food for the future famine that God allowed him (Joseph) to forsee.

I challenged the boy to look in the Bible and find other ways God keeps His promises in different ways. Being able to help him with the explaination of something God had already taught me was very encouraging. As I said it out loud I realized that not only was it something that I had learned it was something that I believed.

So while I initially went into the youth room to socialize and joke around with them it turned out that God gave me a gift that confirms my faith and growth in him. I am so happy to have been a help to someone else while at the same time encouraged through the Holy Spirit that I am on the path where God wants me to be.

Thank You Jesus for your faithfulness and love for me.

No comments: