Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Glimpse into My Future?

Last night I went to Zanies comedy club in Navshville for their 7:30 show. The performers for the evening were amateur comics who had completed the comedy classes offered by comedian Rik Roberts. Fifteen people took the stage for the first time ever. Some of them were very original and funny; others not so much.

I didn’t really go to the show to be entertained. It was a personal fact finding mission. Since I discovered that they were offered I have wanted to take the comedy classes. However the cost ($200 for 4 or 5 sessions), the scheduled times, and the travel involved held me back.

When I found out that one of the perks of the classes was that upon completion you are given the opportunity to perform on the stage at Zanies once again my interest was peaked. Doing that has been one of my dreams for quite a while.

I went to see if there was anything special about these graduates or if they were just ordinary people like me. As I watched I realized that the only difference was that they had organized material and were somewhat rehearsed.

I’ve never been very comfortable in the “night club” atmosphere of places like Zanies. I could never see myself pursuing work in such places on a regular basis. However in the context of it being a one time thing with some friends and family present (I have a mental list of people who have laughed at my jokes in the past that I would personally want to invite) I think it would be a good experience.

Perhaps as I learn and grow in my experience as a ventriloquist, comedy classes may prove valuable to me. So my trip to Zanies just might turn out to be a glimpse into my own future. Maybe one day I’ll invite you to come see me on stage.

No comments: