Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Blessed Sunday

Today was a Good Sunday. While most usually are, today will be a memorable for me for a couple of reasons.

First of all I got to be a "Courier" for the day. You see a trio called "The Couriers" were my favorite gospel group when I was growing up. Today in church I sang a song they made popular over 30 years ago. I sang a song called "Statue of Liberty" (see yesterday's post for more info about the song) to begin the morning worship service at my church. It set the tone for the entire service. Being Memorial Day weekend the entire service has a patriotic theme to it as the congregation honored those who have and are currently serving in the armed forces.

The service is one of my favorites each and every year. I was nervous when I sang and didn't do as good a job as I would have liked to do. However everyone was very complimentary to me afterwards. I also got chills when the church choir sang anthems of each of all branches of the our military in tribute to our veterans. Of course front and center in the heart of both my wife and me, was my son, James, currently serving in Iraq. We miss and pray for him always but especially today.

My second memorable event of the day came when I looked at our local town paper. It included a special pullout section with details of all of the summer reading programs scheduled at our area libraries. My name was in the section about our town branch because I'm scheduled to do a ventriloquist performance there June 9.

Now there's really not anything notable about the fact the my name was in the paper. I've had that happen before; even in the national publication, Parade Magazine. But what was special this time was that my name was printed with the word "Ventriloquist" in front of it. Its the first time I've received public acknowledgement as a ventriloquist in such a large market. Even if no one else thinks its a big deal I am thrilled about it. I will cut out that part of the paper and keep it with my personal memorabilia for the rest of my life.

So there you have a couple of reasons for me to remember today for a long time. I got to fulfill a dream of singing a Couriers song in church and I was acknowledged as a ventriloquist in a widely distributed publication.

Okay so we won't mention that my wife had to go into her office late in the afternoon because things went wrong during a special project she had other people working on. That would spoil the celebratory spirit of this post. I'm sure it didn't thrill my wife very much either.

But Sunday May 25, 2008 will always be a memorable day for me. I am very grateful to God for blessing me in such special way.

No comments: