Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Busy Week

It’s been a busy week for me so far. On Monday morning I took both of my dogs to the vet for a check up. That’s no easy task because it’s very stressful for both of them.

On Tuesday my sister, Peggy, who lives in Pennsylvania, had knee replacement surgery. I talked to her yesterday and she’s doing well. She’s supposed to come home from the hospital on Friday.

In February my sister, Shari, had gastric by pass surgery. She’s doing well also and has lost over 50 pounds this year. For both my sisters the surgeries were the next step in their long journey to become healthier and happier. I am very proud of both of them. They inspire me to have the courage to take the steps I need to take in both my physical life and spiritual relationship with God no matter how difficult they may be.

I stopped by our town library this week and picked up some books that I’m going to use as resource material for a ventriloquist show I’m doing there in June. Janet, the children’s librarian selected the books for me. What’s great about that is that one of the books is based on the song “The Marvelous Toy”. The song is really special to me because of what it meant to my dad and me.

It may not seem like a big deal to anyone else but one of my major accomplishments this week was finally mowing our back yard. I started to mow it using our riding mower but about 10 minutes into the job a belt broke and it wouldn’t move. So over the next 2 days I had to use our push mower to cut about an acre of grass. Not an easy task for me but I did it.

Without a doubt the highlight of the week came in a phone call about 7AM this morning. Our son, James, called us from Kuwait. It was really great to hear from him. He told us about the time table for going to Iraq and what’s he’s been doing until now. He said that it’s really hot over there. At night his tent is “cooled” to 85 degrees and that seems cold to him now.

He told us of encounters with 5 ft long lizards with a tail like a rattlesnake, scorpions, and camel spiders. He’s also told us of visits to places like Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. He said that one of the best things about the place is the great gym. He said the equipment is the best and he spends a lot of time there.

His mom and I talked to him for about 30 minutes and he seems very well adjusted and happy to be where he is. He talked about his plans for when he comes home and about getting to come home for his brother’s wedding in October. I have a feeling he’s excited about where he is but he’s also a little homesick. He’s having a unique experience that not many get to have. He’s getting to do something he loves and is getting paid to do it. That’s rare in life especially at such a young age He won’t be 20 until October.

So those are the highlights of my week so far and there’s still 3 days left. Saturday my son, Michael, celebrates his 27th birthday. He’s doing it in a very unique way because tomorrow he and his fiancé have their closing on their house. Sunday is Mother’s Day. As I said it’s been, and will continue to be, a busy week.

No comments: