Sunday, May 4, 2008

Finishing 2nd On Derby Day

About 5 PM central time yesterday, May 3rd, twenty competitors came together in Kentucky to determine who would be crowned this year’s champion. Numbers were chosen. Starting positions assigned and then the cards were dealt. But first everyone gathered around the flat screen TV to watch the Kentucky Derby.

I was at a Canasta tournament. For the 2nd year in a row Paula and I played in the friendly Derby Day competition held at the home of one of our friends who lives near by.

Since everyone there was a Southern Baptists, naturally, food was part of the program. As a matter of fact there was so much to eat I’m not sure if it was a card game with a pot luck dinner or a pot luck dinner that happened to end in a card game.

Anyway after watching the Derby 18 people (2 of those invited had to cancel due to illness) chose numbers from a “hat” and found their way to tables set up for each of the four games to be played simultaneously.

Now I’m not going to go into an explanation of the game or rules of Canasta. I’ll just say that each person played with a partner and then was credited individually with the team’s total score.

Everyone played a total of 8 games. Paula and I only played at the same table once but we weren't on the same team. At the end of play each individual’s scores were added up and the top score was declared the winner.

Ed, our music pastor and co-host, came in first. Last year the brother of the hostess, Diane, came in first. Perhaps there should be an investigation. What’s the number for the Kentucky gaming commission?

I was runner up for the 2nd year in a row. Prizes were handed out for 1st and 2nd place. Ed got a gift card to a local restaurant. I got a $10 gift card to McDonald’s.


That’s not bad work for an evening filled with great food and hanging out with some of my favorite people. Given the fate of the 2nd place finisher in the Derby I guess I should consider myself lucky that I got out of there with a gift card and not even a mention of my being euthanized. I’m just grateful for the good time and the opportunity to have some fun while Finishing 2nd on Derby Day.

No comments: