Friday, February 20, 2015

My Winter Fascination

After digging out both of our cars and being able to get out of our driveway on Wednesday, I took a ride through Smiths Grove to survey the effects of the snow on the area. 

I found plenty of one of my favorite things about winter weather that I hadn't seen around here in a while: icicles. 

I am fascinated with icicles. I have been for as long as I can remember. I like their look when they are glistening in the sun. The larger they are the greater my intrigue.   

To me, after accumulative snowfalls, icicles represent God's best and fastest forming natural example of illustrating how little acts (single drops of water falling toward the ground and freezing one by one) can compound into something that is unique and beautiful. 

As a kid I would seek them out, take them down and pretend they were any of a variety of weapons. I used to this frozen this arsenal to fight off imaginary enemies. 

Of course the ultimate use of an icicle was as a Star Wars light saber to defend myself against Storm Troopers and engaging those from "the dark side".  

I was very pleasantly surprised when, during my cruise down Main Street here in "the grove", I found several structures with icicles hanging from their roofs. 

These are some that were on our town hall. 



These were some pretty impressive patches of icicles but they weren't the best that I found. 

The building that houses our local fast food/ice cream shop, Flavor Isle, was where I would saw the best formations.  
The awning covering the outside seating area provided the most unique. 

Here's a view from the inside of the awning. 


As you can see the ice on the awning and the right side of the building was pretty cool (no pun intended) but it was the left side that runs along 1st street that was the most accessible. 

The fact that they were in direct sunlight gave them a glistening look as well. 

While I don't "play" the same games with icicles as I did when I was younger, I still like interacting with the descending tapering columns. 

Here is the link to my latest edition of the"My Point of Vue"series, on my YouTube channel. I apologize in advance of your viewing and admit that I temporarily turn into a bit of an icicle fanboy on this video.  
My Point of Vue: Icicle Edition


If you're like my wife, some of you may be asking, "if you are so fascinated with those icicles why did you destroy  them?"

Well, my interaction with icicles has always been a tactile activity. The challenge of taking them down in one piece and holding them in my hands is part of my fascination. 

I don't want to get too deep into this aspect of icicles but I will say this. Knocking them down not only was fun but it created a canvas for a new formation. One that was there the very next morning. It's a cycle that quite often happens in the realm of creativity in both nature and art.  

So there you have my reunion with an aspect of winter weather that I had not had the pleasure of experiencing in a while here in southern Kentucky. 

An image search on the internet will result in hundreds of pictures of larger and better icicle formations than what I've shared with you here. But what's special about those I found is that they were right here where I can experience them. 

Are you a fan of icicles, like me? Do you have any memories of adventures or fun with them in the past? If you do, I'd be interested in you telling me about them. 

Thanks for letting me share yet another of my personal fascinations. 



  

No comments: