Friday, October 11, 2013

In Pre-Production

What's the last thing you crossed off your "Life Goal" aka "Bucket" list?

Today I reached the first major step in the process of crossing off one of mine. 

I finished writing the Christmas play that's going to be presented by the children of our church this year. 

It's been about 2 years since I decided that I wanted to write a script that could be presented as our annual kids' Christmas program. 

At the beginning of this year, I came up with an idea for a story that revolved around a retired ventriloquist and his memories about a special Christmas show when he worked at a local TV station. 

I had written a few pages but had a bout of writer's block and set the project aside. 

Less than 3 weeks ago I was asked by the church leadership to come up with an idea for this year's play and help with the production. 

That's when I offered to use my idea and write this play. 

This is the first two-act play that I've every written. Though I wouldn't call it a "musical" there is music in it. Since I'm not a song writer I will use classic Christmas carols to help move the story along. 

Over the writing process I've lost the ventriloquist character but have kept most of my original ideas. 

The plot revolves around a small town television station, a local children's choir, and a Christmas Eve snowstorm. 

Not only am I the writer of this play; I'm going to team up with the church associate pastor, who is also one of my best friends, to direct and produce "Christmas On The Air." 

Now that the script is finished I have a lot of work to do: casting, set design, staging, finding costumes and props, creating choreography, and rehearsals. 

The date of the performance is Sunday, December 15. That's just 10 weeks away. 

Although I have helped with several of our children's Christmas musicals in the past I've never taken on this much responsibility. It's going to be a challenge. 

But when all is said and done I be able to cross "write a Christmas play" off of my life "to do" list. 





No comments: