Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wrong Theater, Right Movie

So much has gone on lately that I’m just getting to write this post a week after it happened. Last Saturday around noon Paula and I decided that we wanted to go see a movie. We try to go before 6 o’clock so we can get the matinee prices.

The only movie I was interested in seeing was “Limitless”. A film about a guy who finds a pill that allows him to use all his brain power (as opposed to the 10% we supposedly only use now).

I looked at the feature schedule for the two theaters in town on the Great Escape Theater’s website. “Limitless” started at 2PM. We left about 1:35.

“Where's the movie playing?” Paula asked me. I told her the Great Escape 12. Because of traffic we found ourselves standing in line at the box office waiting to buy our tickets at 2 o’clock exactly.

As we stood there waiting for the 3 or 4 people in front of us I looked at the marquee with the feature times on it. I suddenly realized we were at the wrong theater. As if making a mistake wasn’t bad enough we had passed the other theater on our way.

We searched the movies on the board for an alternative. The only thing that hadn't already started was “The Lincoln Lawyer” starring Matthew McConaughey and Marisa Tome. I’d seen both stars on talk shows over the past week or so promoting the movie. From the clips they had shown and the trailer on TV I was under the impression it was another "cookie cutter" romantic comedy. It didn’t’ look all that bad. So since we had driven into town to see a movie and didn't want to leave without doing so; we decided to go see it. I wasn’t holding out much hope for enjoying myself but I had to live with my mistake.

Well my hopes were not only met they were exceeded. The movie was a turning twisting crime/courtroom drama that kept us on the edge of our seats for the entire time. McConaughey was very good and so was country singer Trace Adkins. He played the leader of a motorcycle gang. Marisa Tome had a good supporting role too. It was a terrific movie. If you are a fan of shows like “Law & Order”, “SVU”, "The Practice", Harry's Law" or those types of dramas, you’ll really like this movie.

I won’t go into the details because I don’t want to give anything away. But I highly recommend seeing this movie. It was  a very pleasant surprise.

Just goes to show you that sometimes things work out even when we make mistakes. In this case it made for an excellent afternoon at the movies.

No comments: