Friday, April 1, 2011

"Disney Dream" Part 2

It’s 4PM CDT on April 1st. It’s been a pretty interesting day so far because of my “Disney Dream” post published earlier today. Let me something out of the way first then I’ll elaborate.

APRIL FOOLS!

It was all a joke. There was only one thing true about the post. I was outside the Magic Kingdom waiting for it to open back on September 8, 2010. Everything else was made up. But it was a good story wasn't it?

After I published the post on the blog some of my friends and family received it as an email. I have some of them set up for that. Others were notified about the post when I announced it on Facebook by way of a status update. To borrow from Abraham Lincoln, I fooled some of the people some of the time.

There were those of you who emailed me telling me that because it was April Fools day you didn’t buy it at all. Others sent comments on Facebook questioning its validity but very kindly sending congratulations and encouraging words. Others bought it hook, line and sinker.

Those who were fooled included my sisters and my son and daughter in law. Each of them called me to find out if it was true.

My sisters were upset about 2 things. First, I didn’t tell them about it before they read about it on the internet. Second, if I was going to be in Florida for the summer they couldn’t visit me in Kentucky for their vacation.

My son and daughter in law were so excited for me that they went out and bought me a “congratulations” gift. That was so sweet. But when my son called and asked if the post was true I let him know the truth. Needless to say I’m gettin’ no present.

So those of you who by reading this post are finding out for the first time that it was a joke, I apologize. But I just have to say one more time: GOTCHA!

I try every year to come up with some kind of reasonably good April Fools joke for one reason. It’s to honor the memory of my mother. She was notorious for getting all of my family members with a good joke on April 1st. My dad and I were her favorite targets.

So to all who were fooled don’t feel too bad. You have my gratitude for your help in allowing me remember my mom today. She would have been proud. And as she always would say you can’t pull off a good joke without a gullible target.

Happy April Fools Day, Mom

No comments: