Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Show N Tell Programs

  
A little over a year a go I posted about one of my favorite toys growing up, the General Electric Show N' Tell. I won't go into a detailed description of the record player/ slide projector and how it worked. You can read about that in the February 19, 2010 post.

Over the last year I thought about the Show N' Tell and how much I enjoyed it. Primary in memory is the music and narrations on the records that came with the film strip in the Show N' Tell program pack. I decided that I really wanted a copy of some of my favorite Show N' Tell records.

I searched Ebay and found a lot of programs were for sale by auction.But they were bundled with together in groups of anywhere from 4 to 40 titles. But I wanted specific programs and didn't want to have to pay for others that I never owned and didn't want. 

Throughout 2010 I continued to search for the programs I wanted to be offered by themselves or in a group small enough to make it worth buying. Finally last month I found what I was looking for.

The 2 programs you see pictured above are the 2 that I remember the most from all those I owned. These were my favorites to the degree that I can recite the narration and sing their songs that I haven't heard in over 45 years.

The program entitled "Clocks" taught me a lot about how time is measured in different ways and methods of timekeeping throughout history. But to me the "Time" program is the most valuable of all the Show N' Tell programs. That's because it was the one that came with my came with the projector when I opened it on my 5th birthday.

Also on the flip side of the "Time" record is a story about a little boy named "Bumpy Brown". In the story he helps the town band participate in the annual Bing Town parade. I knew the story about Bing Town was on the "B" side of one of the program records I had owned. But I didn't know which one it was.

When I found out that this story was on the back of the record I was twice as excited to have the "Time" program.

Now I have to convert the program records to a digital file so I can put them on my Ipod. Having these will provide me with tangible means of sharing some of my best memories childhood memories with Paula and other members of my family.

I know you can't go back in time but these records and filmstrips will serve as the catalyst to unlocking the recollections of the hours of fun I had in my bedroom watching that little TV screen on my Show N' Tell. 

No comments: