Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Doing a "180"

Even though I've been winning the battle of the bulge overall during these past 18 months or so; since June I've been at a stand off. The 2 months of June and July included 2 vacations and several events that facilitated eating more carbs and calories than I have in a long time. To be honest I used the vacations as excuses to go on eating binges. One night while In Chicago I binged to the point that I made myself sick.

As a result of not eating the way I should I've gained and lost the same 8-10 pounds several times since the end of May. My weight has been stuck in the 230's since April. But that changed today. This morning I discovered that I've done a "180". I mean that in 2 ways.

When I got on the scale this morning I saw evidence that over the last couple of weeks I've effectively changed my behavior. I've once again had to make a concentrated effort to pull myself back from the habit of compulsive overeating.

Because I had done some binge eating on mostly high calorie foods loaded with carbs I had become addicted to them again. I don't know if there's any scientific or medical evidence for it but take it from me, carbs are like a drug. The more I eat the more I want. My hunger has increased over the course of a couple of months and so has my consumption. I also allowed myself to be controlled once again by my desire for food.

I treated it like a "crying baby" that needed to be appeased immediately. As soon as I felt any pangs or even felt like I was starting to get hungry I ate something to appease the feeling or the belief that I was hungry. Yes, there was true hunger but most of it was "head hunger" aka the addiction to carbs.

Last week I got tired of "yo-yoing" in the 230's. My weight loss stall was frustrating. Inspired by the habits and consistent efforts of my wife, I began tracking my caloric and carb intake. My daily goal was to take in less than 1000 calories and 20 carbs. I also got back to exercising more often. I had skipped quite a few days mostly due to the hot weather, other commitments, and lack of motivation. I got back to my regular walking routine. I have made a 180 degree turnaround from the undisciplined sinful behavior to which I'd returned.

The other "180" I would like to mention is the total amount of weight I've lost. That's right I'm 180 pounds less than I was on March 20, 2009 the day. That was the day I had my first consultation with my gastric bypass surgeon. I now weigh 226 pounds. That means I'm only 56 pounds from my goal weight.


I have been so blessed with a wonderful support system. God has been my biggest and most powerful help. Paula, my wife and partner throughout this whole "weight loss" thing and my life is a priceless treasure and blessing in my life. My sisters who live in Pennsylvania have been a big encourgement as well. I don't get to see them much but our phone conversations to check in with each other (they've both had weight loss surgery too) is a great help in keeping me motivated.

I know this may sound funny to some but my dogs are also an important part of my success. They are my walking partners. My commitment to walking them for exercise has helped me get out there and move at times when I really didn't want to. They have also enjoyed the benifits of walking. Both of them have lost between 10 & 20 pounds since my surgery. They are much healthier now than they were 18 months ago.

Yes, I've done a "180" and there's more hard work and blessing to come. But even if I don't lose another pound; my life is so much better now than I'd ever expected. I feel like I could live to be 180. What a turn around. Thank You Lord.!

No comments: