Monday, January 4, 2010

The Cane Mutiniy

As 2010 begins I've made a decision. It's not a big decision. It only effects me but it's a decision nonetheless. It has to do with the simple task of walking.

Ever since the summer of 2007 when I fell and hurt my right knee I've been using a metal walking cane to help me get around. Eventually my knee got better but the weight I had gained in the interim combined with my drop foot condition in my left food made my balance very unstable. It seemed as though, to keep from tripping and falling, the cane was going to be a permanent part of my life.

With my weight loss, my balance has gotten a bit better but I've still been using the cane while walking the dogs and when going through the warehouse to the call center where I work. Other than those 2 occasions I've stopped using it.

With the start of the new year I've decided to give up using the cane all together. Well that is except when I walk the dogs. The uneven pavement throughout my walking route makes using the cane a matter of safety in that situation.

Otherwise I've given my cane it's "walking papers." For the most part I am now "cane free". It's just another in my list of many NSVs (Non-Scale Victories).

No comments: