Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another Basketball Game


Last night I went back to the same sports arena where I saw the Harlem Globetrotters on Monday night, the indoor sports arena of Western Kentucky University.

I went to see the college's women's basketball team play Florida Atlantic University. I went with my sister-in-law, Theresa. I had promised I'd go with her to a game this season and last night was the perfect night to do so.

"T" is a Lady Hilltoppers basketball fanatic. She's had season tickets for several years and goes to as many games as she can every season. She really enjoys being at the game. I was impressed with the number of friends she has in the area where she sits. They're like a little family.
I'm not really a basketball fan but I do like watching the game in person. I guess that stems back to the season I was a team equipment manager for my high school basketball team during my freshmen year back in 1975.

It was a great evening. Due to the kindness of some of Theresa's friends I was able to sit next to her without having to buy a ticket. If you look at the picture of E. A. Diddle arena at the top of this post (taken 2 years ago the last time I went to a game) you can see our seats. They were 2 rows to the right of the 30 second clock that's on top of the basket in the foreground. We were right behind the Lady Toppers bench. It was a great place to watch a game.

The Lady Toppers won rather easily leading by 9 points at half time and winning by a score of 76-57.

So although it was the first event I had made plans for this week the basketball game was the 3rd fun event in as many nights. I've gotten to spend some 1-on-1 time with 3 of my Kentucky family members so far this week. As mentioned in my last post, Friday will be my date night with my wife. It should be a lot of fun.

By the way, I've not forgotten about my daughters in law. I've already promised them on Facebook that I'd work at finding something special to take them to as well. I've just asked for the rest of the year to do it.

No comments: