Wednesday, January 6, 2010

186 Days Later

Today marks 6 months since my weight loss surgery. In that time I have lost 111 pounds; a total of 126 since March 20 of last year.

Over the past 1/2 year I've written a lot about how losing weight has changed my life. There's not a whole lot more to write today that I haven't already. I do want to say that I am thankful that God has been with me through this entire journey. Without the motivation of knowing that what I am doing is an obedience to Him and His will for my life I would have started struggling with my food and exercise issues a long time ago.

He also has given me the blessing of having Paula as my partner in this life changing effort. She has helped me get through everything from my actual surgery to learning what and how to eat correctly. She is truly a gift from God.

Until now the duration of my most successful weight loss effort (78 pounds on the LA Weight Loss diet back in 2006) only lasted about 4 months. That took extraordinary effort. That makes this 6 month mark the longest sustained weight loss effort of my life. But because of the surgery it's going to be for the rest of my life.

I still have a significant amount of weight to lose. I know that my continuing efforts will be rewarded. I thought about doing something "special" for my 6 month anniversary today but couldn't think of anything in particular. But God took care of that for me.

While I was at work today about several people gave me compliments about my weight loss. I heard phrases like " You've lost a lot of weight haven't you?" and "It's good to see that you're able to get around without your cane now."

At lunch today a co-worker and fellow weight loss surgery patient asked me if I attended a support group. She confided in me that she's having some trouble and shared other concerns related to gaining and losing weight.

I told her the support group's meeting schedule and gave her some advice about her problems. I told her if there was anything I could do to help her I would be more than happy to do so. It was an honor to know that she trusted me enough confide in me.

So now it's on down the road to my 1 year anniversary and a new calendar year. My prayer is that in the next 6 months I can strive to continue to be obedient to God and just as successful in my weight loss effort as I was the last half of 2009.

No comments: