Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Seven For Safety

This morning at 10:30 I went once again to our local library to perform a ventriloquist program. I was asked to do something for preschoolers about Halloween. Of course not being a fan of the occasion I decided take the avenue of providing "trick or treat" safety tips.

As it turns out my program wasn't exactly age appropriate for the group that was there. The children were between 2 and 4 years old. My program would have been better suited for an older age group. I need to pay closer attention to the specific age range of my audience in the future. I'm still learning about my craft.

The program itself was pretty good. I taught the children 5 rules to follow when they go out to trick or treat. I also used 7 puppets to illustrate those rules. That's a new record for me. As a matter of fact it was the first time I'd ever used more than one puppet at a time. Although I practiced it was still difficult to keep the voices straight during the show. I used the wrong voice a couple of times.

Out of those seven, two of the puppets made their public debut. I used Rodney, my clown fish, (see September 16 post) and Skyler, my sugar glider puppet for the first time. The most unique thing about the presentation, other than that I wore a multi-colored neon wig, was the costume I put on the sugar glider. It was a ghost costume. The picture above is what it looked like.

The children seemed to enjoy the show but because of the length of the program and their ages they got a bit restless toward the end. After the show I stayed at the library and spent some time getting to know the children and their moms.

In the past after my time was over I just packed up and left. This time I decided that I wanted to stick around the library for a while and spend some time with my audience. Janet, the librarian, as usual, was grateful for my talents and interest.

I really like doing shows at the library. The audiences are always so much fun. I look forward to doing something for Christmas in a couple of months

No comments: