Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Rich Full Day: Part 2


A few hours after concluding a very successful day of ministry at Iva Baptist Church I drove to Louisville with my wife, my son, and his fiancee. We were on our way to see the River Bats, the AAA minor league team of the Cincinnati Reds, play a game against the Columbus Clippers.

Now I am calling this post “A Rich Full Day: Part 2” but if you speak to any of my family members about this first part of our trip they very well may tell you that it was not very fun at all.

During our 100 mile trip on I-65 North we only made one stop and soon were looking out the left window of the Vue at Louisville Slugger Field. At the time we still had 45 minutes to get to our seats before the first pitch.

The trip takes a bit of a “turn toward the worse” here as we attempted to get to the stadium. This was my fault. I didn’t realize until we were about halfway to the city that it had been so long since I went to a Bats game (about a year and a half) I didn’t remember how to get to the field.

Notorious for getting lost (but I do eventually get where I’m going) I lived up to my reputation by first missing the exit and then driving around the downtown area for about ½ hour. I made some interesting decisions about how to find the stadium but I won’t go into the details here. Just ask me or my family members when you see us if you really want to know.

I stopped at a local garage and got directions. Two turns later we were in the parking lot. In the 90 degree heat we walked around the stadium and found our seats.

I really didn’t like our seats. They were down the left field line and in the sun. We were already tired and hot from the walk so sitting in the sun offered no immediate respite from the heat. We drank water to refresh ourselves and after about an hour the sun went down a bit it started to cool down. It turned out to be a very pleasant evening.

Another reason I didn’t like our seats was that they faced the outfield and not home plate. You had to actually turn your body to watch most of the game. I’ll never buy tickets for those seats again. However I did come as close to getting a foul ball as I ever had. It came down the line in the air, hit a row of empty seats behind me to the right and ricocheted back toward the field about 6 feet from where I was sitting. I didn’t have time to get up or even react but it was the closest I’ve ever been to a foul ball.

The game was a good one. There were 23 hits, and 14 runs scored including a grand slam home run by someone on the Clippers team. The Bats came back and won 8-6. The running joke of the night was that the 3rd baseman for the Bats had the same first and last name as my son. Also the Famous San Diego Chicken was there. He was very funny and performed lots of comedy bits in between innings.

As expected on the way home we got a bit lost. Getting back on I-65 from downtown Louisville is very tricky. Luckily my son spotted a rather obscure direction sign that led us to the entrance ramp.

On the way home while “the kids” in the back slept or watched movies on their portable DVD player my wife and I listened to one of my Rewind shows on CD.

I was tired when I got home but overall it was a nice evening. A great 2nd half of a “Rich Full Day: that I will remember fondly for a long time.

No comments: