Sunday, August 17, 2008

Once Again For The Last Time

For about 10 years before I moved to Kentucky in 1999 I occasionally worked as a DJ for weddings, parties, ect. Since moving to Kentucky I have only worked in that capacity 2 times. One was a birthday party for a 13 year old in 2002 and a wedding reception this past February.

After working the wedding reception which included: loading and unloading the equipment from my car, setting it up and, playing the music I was exhausted. I enjoyed playing the music but everything else was so physically difficult for me afterward I came to a two-sided decision. I would most likely never work as a DJ again but if I did I would hire someone to set up take down routine for me.

I thought the first part of that decision would be the one that always be true. I had worked my last gig as a DJ. But last night once again I was the DJ for a wedding reception. The bride at this celebration was someone I used to work with. She was at the wedding reception in February and liked what she heard me do there. She asked me to do her reception about 3 weeks ago and I agreed.

This time I did have a "roadie" to help me with the equipment. The reception was held at the local Lions' Club hall not 1/2 a mile from my house. There were only about 30 people there and only about half a dozen of them ever danced.

But the couple that got married have 3 children from each of their previous marriages. They have two girls and a boy. Well their guests may have not enjoyed the music but I have never seen a family have such a good time at their own wedding reception. Both the bride, the groom, and their children danced for nearly the whole time I played. At one point it was only them and a few immediate family members still there. Even though they were the only ones left they continued to dance.

Finally they asked me to stop playing about 90 minutes earlier than scheduled because everyone was tired and wanted to go home. My "roadie" and I packed the equipment back into my Vue and I made the 2 minute drive back home.

Even though I didn't do nearly as much work as I had in February I was still very tired and worn out. Despite my exhaustion I was very satisfied because I helped to make that family's special day a bit more memorable. In addition I did it doing something I enjoy doing; playing my music from my CD collection.

As of right now I have no future plans to be a DJ ever again But that's what I said in February. Who knows what the future will bring.

No comments: