Tuesday, August 5, 2008

AGT's First Las Vegas Show Not That Great

After about 6 to 8 weeks of audition programs the NBC show "America's Got Talent" finally reached it's second round known as Vegas Week. This is the first season I have watched the show with any loyalty and from the beginning. Overall I have enjoyed it but the audition programs became a bit tedious.

I was very excited when I realized that tonight was the first program in the second round of the audition process known as "Las Vegas Week" I was looking forward to seeing my favorite contestant, Kaitlyn Maher.

All the great performers (and in my opinion some of the not so great) came back and gathered in a theater awaiting their second chance to move on in the competition. There were 113 acts sitting in the theater's seats excited and full of optimism about what might happen during "Vegas Week."

The 3 judges came out on stage and announced that they were going to review the videos of all their auditions and based on their second looks some of the contestants would be sent home the next day. Talk about changing the mood among a group of people. I would have been upset too if I were involved.

The next day once again the contestants all sat in the theater seats. Only this time each were given instructions to sit in 1 of 4. The judges then sent an entire section of 19 acts (the "b" section) home without even giving them a second audition. My question is "why even bring them out to Vegas?" Not only did they not give them their second chance as implied by bringing them to Vegas but they made them leave the theater immediately. It was a very cruel way to treat someone who at one time had been considered qualified to move on in the competition.

It was also awful television. The show needs to take some lessons from American Idol in regard to the large group elimination or advancement process.

Having narrowed the field down to 94 acts the judges and producers then categorized the contestants for their second editions. Singers auditioned with other singers, dancers with dancers, magicians with magicians ect.

I don't know what happened to the majority of the contestants but very few of them were as good or impressive as they were in their first auditions. I don't think I saw anything from any of them that proved they were the favorite to win.

Remember my little friend, Kaitlyn Maher? She was the 4 year old little girl who stole my heart on the July 17 episode. She was grouped with other youngsters for her audition. After the kids were all finished the judges debated as to whether they were too young to handle the competition and the subsequent fame. If they weren't sure of that why did they put them through in the first place?

Anyway for her second audition Kaitlyn sang "When You Wish Upon A Star." She wasn't as cute nor did she sing as well as she did the first time but she's still a darling little girl. By the way she made it through to the next round.

Again, I wasn't totally blown away by any of the acts I saw again tonight. I was rather disappointed. Perhaps they were all nervous and a little out of touch with what was expected of them. I have no idea how long it was between some of their auditions and their time in Vegas. Perhaps that had something to do with them not performing as well.

There is still another day of auditions in the AGT competition in Vegas. That airs this Thursday night and the final 40 spots for the Hollywood shows will be decided then. Let's hope some of the contestants can recall some of the talent they're trying to convince America they've got.

No comments: