Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Look of Miscommunication


Here's an interesting experience I had today. I went to the local mall to get my hair cut. I went to the same place I've been going to for the last few years. It's called Master Cuts. Like a lot of places in malls around America this one has about half a dozen stylists working there at any one time. When it comes to getting my hair cut I'm not very patient. I wrote my name and services requested on the sheet on the counter hoped it wouldn't be very long until the next available hair cutter to called my name.

Today it was a woman whom I'd say was between the ages of 50 & 55. I didn't get her name but I will always remember her. As I sat down in her styling chair I told her that I wanted a buzz style cut with the 1 inch blade. I added that I didn't want it any shorter than that because I was looking for a job and wanted to present a neat but normal look to potential employers. I added that I didn't need to look like Curly from the 3 Stooges.

She said something to the effect that she would be happy to use the clippers to give me a #1 cut. I didn't realize what she had said until she finished cutting my hair.

With my back to the mirror the entire time she was using the clippers we talked about how thick my hair is and how I'm lucky to be blessed with it at my age. That's the banter I share with my hair stylist nearly every time.

When she finished cutting she turned me around to the mirror and I saw myself as you see me in the picture at the beginning of this post:completely buzzed. Instead of using the 1 inch clipper guard to cut my hair she used the #1 gauge guard which made it the shortest it could possibly be cut.

I pointed out what she had done wrong and started to get upset. I quickly realized that there was nothing that could be done about it. She couldn't glue it back on. I was stuck with this short hair but the thought that it would definitely grow back quickly came to mind. The woman apologized over and over and then said the haircut would be free.

I told her that I understood it might have been a miscommunication. I couldn't see any reason to make her feel any worse than she did. After all everyone makes mistakes. After making sure there would be no charge I wished her a good day. I told her again that I understood it was an accident.

I'm glad I exercised some self-control in the situation. I wasn't worried about being "the bad guy." This was a situation where I could have gotten angry and notified the manager, who I know well from being a long time customer, and been justified in doing so. But who would that have helped? Just me. It wouldn't have done anything to improve the stylist's day. I don't know her or what her life is like. Perhaps a little kindness and understanding was just what she needed at that point in her day or her life.

Anyway I believe I reacted like I believe Jesus would have. (No "Jesus didn't cut his hair" remarks please)I know it doesn't make sense to most people but perhaps the next time I go back to Master Cuts for a hair cut, if I see her working, I may give the same woman a second chance. After all God has given me more than my share of second chances after my mistakes. That's something I should always remember.

No comments: