Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Day Care Performance


After having to postpone it twice I finally got to do my ventriloquist performance at our local day care center today. Most of the children there have seen my performances at the library and are familiar with my characters.

Today I used my magic dry erase board to present for the first time a talking beach towel named "Harley". Also I had my turtle character, Cecil, debut his "mind reading" skills. That routine is not my original idea. I "borrowed" it from David Pendelton; a ventriloquist I saw perform at a youth rally earlier this year.

The little boy standing next to Cecil and me in the picture was the volunteer who let Cecil read his mind. The most important thing about the picture is the smile on the 7 year old boy's face. It's moments like that captured by my camera that make being a ventriloquist worth it.

That was the last scheduled performance I have for this summer. For me it's now on to the International Festival of Puppetry and Ventriloquism in Chicago for a few days. I'll write more about that tomorrow.

No comments: