Thursday, March 2, 2017

Latest In Lego 2017-Volume 2

February was a very eventful month for Legos in my house. After several months of a rather slow pace, I have been putting together Lego kits rather quickly lately. I've got lots of pictures to share with you and an exciting look to the builds of the future.  

Let's start with the project I wrote about in my last Lego post: The Mini Cooper. 


 This was a challenging build but was also a lot of fun. Like the VW camper van from a couple of years ago, I had a bit of trouble with the roof and a couple other areas. But when all was said and done this was one of the best builds I've done.

This is a Lego Creator kit (product #10242-$150), as of the posting of this blog, is still available. But it's been around for a while. If you are interested in getting it, I'd do it soon.  

The model is on display on top of one of my living room shelves in a plastic case right next to the previously mentioned VW van.

Next up is the 2nd and 3rd models I made from the Future Flyers set: a race car and a cool robot. 

My granddaughter really liked this robot and so do I. I will add it to my collection 

Here are a couple of musical instrument models that aren't Lego. They are a brand called "X-Block". My son brought them back from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last year. They are miniature to the extreme. 

I have to admit. I could not put these together. The pieces were difficult to handle and the instructions just didn't seem right to me. So a big "Thank You" to my wife who patiently worked to get them together. She even made some improvements to make them a bit more stable.
 I made 2 of the 3 Red Racers (31055) models. My wife and granddaughter made the other one. 




The pair of Lego Architecture buildings are next in my picture gallery. You've already seen it but here's a shot of the United Nations Headquarters from another angle. 
 I have built replicas of several famous US land marks but up until now only one from our nation's capital, The White House. That is until now. Here's my latest mini monument: The Lincoln Memorial. 

As you can see Lego is pretty good at creating sets of things that have hard lines: buildings, cars, robots ect. Sometimes they try to do animals which are not so easy to replicate. I have shared some animal sets in the past. 

One day soon I will share a Lego Zoo album on Facebook. Overall, they do a good job but some just miss the mark. This next one falls in the latter category. 

It's a Toys R Us exclusive based on their company mascot. I can safely say it's the strangest looking of all the Lego animals I've seen. With that said, here's Geofrey the TRU giraffe. 

Some Idea sets that I have been excited about putting together were the highlights of my February activity. 

On the heels of Lego's recent announcement that they will be putting out a fan designed "Women of NASA" set early next year, comes my putting together the retired Ideas set "Research Institute." It features women scientists: a chemist, an astronomer, and a paleontologist.  

This is a really cool set that I'm going to be happy to have my granddaughter play with. It shows women in a great light. It also has one of the coolest little things in any Lego set I own: A fossilized dinosaur. 

As a big fan of both the "Sue" the tyrannosaurus skeleton on display in Chicago's Field museum and Lego miniatures, this piece of this set is right up my alley. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Gremlins, E.T. all of these films are classic 80s films. But along with "Back To The Future" there is one iconic movie from that decade that has made it to into the Lego Ideas catalog. I don't even have to write it's name. I simply have to ask, "Who Ya Gonna Call?"  

I bought a copy of this next set for my daughter-in-law in 2015. She put hers together a while back. About 18 months after I got mine, I finally put it together.

 I have been anxious to get to mine, because it's based on my current my favorite sit-com. Now it's gonna be on my living room shelf and not just my television. Say "hello" to Sheldon, Leonard, Penny and the whole gang from TV's #1 comedy "The Big Bang Theory" 

This is not an exact replica of the BBT production set but it's a great representation. I'm happy to have it as part of my Ideas collection. 

Let's wrap up this post with a look at some future builds that have been at the top of my wish list for a while. 

Almost ever since Lego started their Ideas I have been telling my wife that I wish they would do a model of the Titanic. Well, that hasn't happened yet but a few weeks ago I came across a Titanic set made by a European company called "COBI". 

After my bad experiences with K-REO sets I was a little hesitant to invest in a non-Lego brand again. But after watching a video review of the product by a fellow "brick" fan I decided that it was time to buy it. 

The 500 piece set, with an ironic product number of 1914, is now in my Lego queue ready to be put together. I can't wait to add it to my display.

I mentioned this first set in my last Lego post. I wrote that buying and building it was one of my Lego goals for this year. Well, I'm halfway there. As of last week I am the owner of the biggest and best Lego set ever. 


As I said at the start of this post, February was a busy month for me when it comes to building Lego sets. I hope you enjoyed seeing what I had fun making.

I don't know if I'm going to keep up the same pace for March but I do have a Star Wars set, another Architecture set, and a very cool Ideas set ready to put together. I'll tell you about and let you see them in the next Latest in Logo post.  




















No comments: